The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best age to Tattoo kids or isn't there one? I'm using a tattoo pen and have LaManchas if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
512 Posts
A lot of breeders do it at disbudding. I was doing that as well with the Nubians, but I have a large tattoo set and a 4 letter herd sequence, so I found it didn't always fit in my few day old alpine kid ears! Now I do all of my "keepers" somewhere around 8 weeks and do any kids sold just before leaving for their new homes. I personally like this better than doing it with disbudding because I feel like I can focus better on their paperwork and getting the letters together.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I tattooed my LaMancha/Nubians at 2 1/2 months. That way their tails were a little bigger, and they were big enough not to slip out of the head catch on my milking stand. :)

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
I do it at birth, along with several pictures and a hair sample. Too many of my kids have gone "missing" that I've had to get back. Worth it when you have kids that are worth $1200 as day olds.
This year I am getting a scan and registration forms for microchips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.