Ages for meds

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by kelebek, Jun 30, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What age is it safe to give the following and at what dosage??

Ivomec +

Cydectin

Thanks

2. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    I've read that you shouldn't give Ivermectin products to a kid under the age of 6 months, because it crosses the blood brain barrier and theirs isn't complete yet. Cydectin can be used on the younger kids, it doesn't cross the barrier.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't know about Ivomec but for young kids I stick with the safest dewormer possible. I like Valbazen (although heard from one person not to use it) I've never had a problem with it and it covers everything, even larvae. I wouldn't use Cydectin because of the smell to it. I get nervous just using it on my adult goats. It's good stuff but I give it orally and it just smells way strong (like kerosene or something chemic-ally). Not a pleasant smell and it has even burned through some of my syringes. So I don't use it on goats under 6 months of age.

Ivomec I always give at 1cc per 50 lbs.

Cydectin I dose at 1cc per 20 lbs.

4. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    We use cydectin injectable at a rate of 1 cc per 50 pounds of goat orally. We use it at a rate of 1cc per 100 pounds of goat injected. right now it is just about the only thing that is effective for our area of the country. We have really never had to worm a kid younger than 3-4 months. One good thing is that you can't really overdose them with it, so you don't have to really be too accurate. In other words, if they weigh 40 pounds, you can safely give them a 50 pound dose. Plus with the injectsable you use such a small dose, many times they don't realize you have dosed them! :)

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've never used the liquid wormers, always the paste and with ivermectin I give 6 week old mini's a pea sized or 1/2 cc ivermectin paste.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    never had a problem with regular ivermectin in small kids (thats all I use) but the Plus I havent used on anyone but adults.

I never heard that Ivermectin isnt safe -- Actually I hear the opposite.