The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nanny that is atleast three she has attacked me twice what should I do? Or what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She got into shed with feed so I went and grabbed her grain and went to go to her pen so she would follow me and she blasted into me and penned me against shed. The first time I was trimming another goats feet and when I went to pet her she plowed into me and tried to bit several times

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I would either put her in the freezer or ship her to the closest sale barn with a big red X on her side. There are too many good does out there to put up with this type of behaviour.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I sell her do I just let them know she is aggressive ? Or could it just be me? I'm the only one that handles them

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot that I also took her 5month old kid for a walk before I trimmed other goat. Which I do often

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I doubt that it's you or anything you've done. Personally, I would not sell her to an individual because I do not believe in passing my problems off to others. If you choose to do that then, yes, you need to make full disclosure about her behaviour and that she can and has become aggressive towards you. The last thing in the world that you need is for this doe to hurt someone.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I forgot that I also took her 5month old kid for a walk before I trimmed other goat. Which I do often
I've pulled kids off my does for various reasons a million times and never had one attack me. One or two have tried when I needed to intervene immediately after kidding, but that is totally different situation from what you're describing. If she is that protective of a 5 month old kid, she will be a holy terror right after she kids again.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Curious, if an animal is sold at a sale barn that big red X is how they know for meat only? If so, cool I did not know that.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
They have to have some way of letting the people attending the sale know that an animal has been designated as slaughter only in case it does not get passed on to the auctioneer. A big red X does that and has become pretty standard at most sale barns over the years.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I have tried to fix aggresive animals before.......waist of time. The only time I will put up with it is right after kidding because their hormones are wacked and its in them to protect their young......but also only to a point. You should be able to enjoy and handle your animals without looking over your shoulder.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I agree with everyone. It isn't worth having to put up with when there are plenty of gentle does out there! She must just have an aggressive nature. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts