Aggression, Help!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by mliga, Jan 8, 2011.

1. mliga

mliga New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Kingwood, WV
    Hi everyone,

I need some help. I banded my girls last weekend and starting yesterday my queen has really ramped up her aggression toward the other goat. To the point that the other goat is afraid to come in the barn. I'm not sure what to do. I think that it has something to do with the banding but I am a wits end on what to do. It is a small barn and it would be difficult to separate them.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Michelle in WV

2. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    I am assuming you mean that you banded their horns?

I am not sure that would cause a change in their disposition, but I could be wrong, all my girls have horns.

Karla

3. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    My Saanen queen is being aggressive this week also. In her case I think it's the combination of adjusting to a new companion and also she went into heat right before she got aggressive. I've had her tied up this weekend (not a good solution I know). I'm thinking of adding some inner walls that I can close off when she gets into one of her "moods". I've never banded a goat, but I expect it might cause some discomfort that might make them aggressive sometimes? I hope things settle down there for you too, this can be very upsetting.

4. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    I have only banded 2 goats before, one with bog scurs and one with full horns. I felt really bad for them. Their horns get very sore and they are afraid to defend themselves, thus knocking them down to the very bottom of the pecking order. I even had to feed them seperately because they were afraid to get too close to the others in case their head came in contact with someone. I think if I had to do it again I would have the vet remove surgically....But anyway, perhaps your herd queen is not too sore yet (are her horns bigger?) and the other one doesn't want to stand up for herself? Not much really too do but maybe give the other one a seperate shelter (dog house, etc) outside the barn in case she is driven out in bad weather. Once the bands sink in more your herd queen should back off I would think.

5. mliga

mliga New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Kingwood, WV
    What we ended up doing was putting up a temporary divider. We will leave it up until the herd queen's horns fall off.

Thanks for your help.

Michelle in WV