Aggressive at feeding

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Myakkagoater, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Has anyone come up with a way to keep the top goats from being absolute idiots at feeding time. I am getting so mad at the situation that I don't know what to do. I started out feeding everyone in different buckets in the pen. They were as far apart as I could get them. The two herd leaders just kept circling the pen and ramming anything that even got close to the feed until they had ate all of it up. So then I made this long trough so they had to stick there heads through the fence and stna d on a ledge to eat. That didn't work either. Constant ramming and most of the young one don't get to eat.
    I have found if I tie the two aggressive does up to their own pole then everybody gets to eat there share. The problem is they know what's getting ready to happen and refuse to let me catch them. I am trying hard not to get frustrated here but they are really pushing it.
    Maybe I just need to pull the trouble makers out and feed them outside of the pen and let everybody else enjoy their meal.

???????
    Tom

2. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    I totally relate with your frustration. We have the same problem. I have stood in the pen and myself tried to scare off the more dominant does just so I know the others are getting a good meal. It didnt work. We have seperated and made new pens for the more dominant ones as well, and the less dominant but it seems it always ends up someone is the more dominant. I will watch this thread and see if anyone has anything of advice to add. Just wanted to tell you your not alone in this problem. Good luck.

3. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    We had that problem with our lady in charge. We ended up stalling her and her sister together at feeding time and then they sleep there all night. Once we removed her from the situation the others were able to find a spot and eat. we have been doing this for months and go back and forth about letting her out, but we really think this is best for all!

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What we do is tie all of our goats up at feeding time on short chains that are spaced a distance apart so that they can only eat their food, and nobody else's. Works like a charm, and they get used to the routine pretty fast. When its feeding time 3/4 of the girls(we do have some blond goats that don't understand the concept) will usually go and stand at their spots waiting to be tied up. For those who are milked, we don't give them food until they get their turn on the stand, then they get food in a dish and if they don't finish by the time they're done being milked they go back to their spot with their dish to finish their food.

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

I was going to say the same thing. :)

6. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    How is the safest way to tie a goat? Does anyone have pics of how they do it? Ive always heard that can be really dangerous [not argueing or anything just wanting to know how to make it safe] Do you watch them the while they eat? Had a goat lady once time say she tied her goats for years then one year a goat hung/choked itself.

7. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I tie everyone up as well. I use dollar store dog leashes and loop them through the fence far enough apart so they can't reach each other then I feed. Works good, I don't have any problem catching them because they know it's feeding time and if they want to eat they go to their leash and wait for me.

8. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    The two older Does in m herd are abslutely stupid aggressive. Lilly the herd queen will ram all others except her own kids as hard as she can. Massey the second in command does the exact same thing. So like I said earlier I have started tieing them to there own post. The hardest thing is catching them. It could easily be the winner of the 1 million dollar funniest video each time to watch me try and catch these two. They run from one end to the next until I can snag a foot or a collar. Then Massey just lays down. I have to drag her to her feed place then after food is served she will get up. Maybe I should make a funnel in the pen to catch them easier with. They are really pushing it. It is funny you go to my cousins goat farm in ky. of about 80 does now and there is some ramming but nothing like what I have got. Every one of them just goes to their place on the trough and eats. No chaining up or nothing. Very well mannered goats if I can say.

Tom

9. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We only have 8 goats.
    Our buck is in his own pen, and the others are in the big pen together.
    We have a doeling born in July that we take out of the pen and feed her outside the gate. We want to make sure she is getting her grain.
    We've been working on an addition on the side of our barn and we have one of those feed trough's from tractor supply in there. Up until a few days ago I was allowing 4 girls in there and keeping the whether and the herd queen out. We have an old skillet <hehe> that I put food in and we have those two share --- whether is very pushy, so I like having those two eating together...
    My other girls we would watch and make sure everyone gets what they need. This has worked out GREAT.

We have a doe due on Saturday, so now we put her and her younger sister in a stall together and they eat seperate from the others. So we've been allowing the herd queen to go in and eat with the other girls, BUT we monitor her, when they are almost done we let the whether inside.

If ANYONE starts headbutting we'll pull them out and make them wait with the whether, so we know the other girls are getting what they need before the piggies come in and gobble it all up!

10. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    I can't tie up my girls as they freak! But they are polite eaters when the boys aren't there to clobber their way through all the bowls.
    I split them up and stall the girls, they pretty much know it's feeding time and after a week or so of torture (for me- not them) they got the hang of it and pretty much split up on their own.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Great advice... all the way around.... :thumb:

12. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I also have three chain link dog kennels in my goat area. My most aggressive and her daughter I feed in one of those. When I open the gate to go in the goat pen they run to the kennel and I shut the door. They are the last to be fed.

13. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Well I built a small division in the pen today. At night feed I was able to catch the two that I tie up very easily. Lets see if this won't work for a while.

P.S. Patsy is getting real close to kidding. Ligaments starting to loosen and a little discharge today.

Can't wait
    Tom

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My feeding routine is EASY...I have 3 boys in one pen, 6 girls in the main pen....Teddy gets his first cause he thinks all food belongs to him, it's a dance for sure but Hank and Chief eat together peacefully. Of my 6 does, only 3 get grain, my preggers. Each waits at the door for her turn on the stand while the 3 hayburners do what they do best...they get their fill of the fresh hay in the racks. Then they all get a cookie for being so good.

15. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I like Liz's idea...nice way to make sure who is getting what food too...hard to monitor food intake when they all eat together

16. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Liz, would you mind if I bring my herd by for some lessons in manners??

LOL

Tom,

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL...It took a few years of milkstand training to get my girls where they are now...even the ones that aren't milked know that they get the good stuff if they wait their turn! My soon to be FF hasn't been milked yet but she's usually #2 in line at the door "knocking" with her hoof to hurry Binkey up. Patience and showing them that good behavior is rewarded is the key. When your bullies act up...do as I do with my Angel, she's top goat here, be a meanie and she gets no grain or treats. They always have good alfalfa hay so I know that missing that meal won't kill her, she gets only if she's nice.

18. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    This is one of the biggest challenges for me. I love my goats and treat them like babies, but they insist on treating each other like barbarians much of the time. It's hard to just let nature work things out. Can't we all just get along? :sigh: