Aggressive Billy Question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by retropicker, Jun 17, 2015.

1. retropicker

retropicker New Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. We have had a small herd of goats for about 2 years (and we're still learning). We've had the same two bucks. Last week we got another buck, put him in the pasture with the rest of the herd. We were out of town for the rest of the week and had someone else look out for the herd. He did everything we asked him to do and was very conscientious. When we returned on Sunday we found one of the does lying down with the new buck standing over her and if he would not let her up. When we ran him away to see about her, he immediately began chasing and butting two other does. One doe ran into a brambles bush to get away and the other was running and dodging him by getting in the woods. He was extremely aggressive towards these two. The doe that was lying down was not able to get up on her own. We carried her to the barn and began giving her water and some Pedialyte. She never recovered and died the next day. We notice that another of our does was missing from the herd, and we found her down in the woods in the same condition. She also died. We are heartbroken and cant figure out what happened. We think that the buck was so aggressive and chasing them that they just ran and ran and finally laid down to get away from him, and that they could not get up and get to the water because of him and they subsequently died from heat and dehydration. Does this make any sense to anyone. Has anyone ever had this to happen. The goats did not show any signs of being bitten by a snake or anything, there were no marks or abrasions, no signs of diarrhea or being sick. I'd appreciate any ideas from anyone on this
    PHP:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The buck could have butted them hard too. I hope you removed him. A new goat into the herd should be watched very closely for a couple of weeks. Sorry for your losses.

3. retropicker

retropicker New Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Thank you. I hadn't thought of that but that is a good possibility. Especially since one of them was a small goat. He is at the stockyard as I write this.

4. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    If it were me, Id shoot that buck OR pen him separate and hand breed the does to him as they come into heat. No reason to put up with a mean goat when you dont have to.

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'd never breed to something like that, knowing how aggressive he is. So sorry this happened. As a rule of thumb, I would isolate any new animals, watch behavior, and slowly introduce to your herd to help prevent things like this from happening. Some animals....there is just no good explanation of their horrible behavior :(

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

So sorry...thats terrible..