The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
Aggression can be passed down yes. But sometimes I think it’s more then just being mean or not. A few examples of what I mean:
I bought a older buck, he was mean when I first got him. After we went a couple of rounds he realized I was not a push over like his last owner. All his offspring were very sweet.
I have a buck now, this is his 3rd time breeding. He didn’t get mean per say but if I went out with him and his ladies he did the whole aggressive acting thing. Hair up, head tilted but never attacked. In his case I think he knows at some point I am taking his girls away from him and being in rut he conveniently forgets his manners. Now that he is away from them he is back being his sweet self.
So IMO it’s not always as simple as mean or nice.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is a 2 year old mini Nubian. I got him about a year ago. He's not that bad when not in rut. He's just really aggressive when breeding. He has horns and will horn them in the side and push them against the fence really hard. He threw one in the air and now she has a limp. I removed him as soon as it happen. I know he bred one 3 times and the other one 1 time before I removed him. I'm scared to put him back in after today.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
If he is throwing the does and hurting them then two options I would use at my farm. One if he is fine all the other time and if some previousoff spring do not show aggressive traits then he would be one of the few I would find a controlled hand breeding only if safety can be ensured to both humans and goats. If it can not be safely done or if he passed aggressive traits then I would personally castrate and let him be a wether. But that's my personal feelings if it was happening on my farm.

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
Oh I thought we meant aggressive to people!
Food aggression when in rut though no I don’t think is something that will be passed down. We are talking about a animal that is so focused on breeding they forget to eat. Depending on how many does have been keeping him busy and how long, that could be quite awhile that he hasn’t really dug in and ate. Plus add in the chasing and just stupidity burning calories. I make sure I have over and beyond enough feeder space for everyone. If they don’t have extra room that might be a easy way to fix the problem. But if he is basically going out of his way to nail a doe then he is taking it just way too far. I had one like that and they are not fun and as much as I loved that buck he wasn’t worth keeping

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Oh I thought we meant aggressive to people!
Food aggression when in rut though no I don’t think is something that will be passed down. We are talking about a animal that is so focused on breeding they forget to eat. Depending on how many does have been keeping him busy and how long, that could be quite awhile that he hasn’t really dug in and ate. Plus add in the chasing and just stupidity burning calories. I make sure I have over and beyond enough feeder space for everyone. If they don’t have extra room that might be a easy way to fix the problem. But if he is basically going out of his way to nail a doe then he is taking it just way too far. I had one like that and they are not fun and as much as I loved that buck he wasn’t worth keeping
Oh sorry. He doesn't care about me. He's just mean to the Doe's. They are in standing heat and he just wants to hurt them. They don't run from him til he horns them in the side and butt.

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
He is a 2 year old mini Nubian. I got him about a year ago. He's not that bad when not in rut. He's just really aggressive when breeding. He has horns and will horn them in the side and push them against the fence really hard. He threw one in the air and now she has a limp. I removed him as soon as it happen. I know he bred one 3 times and the other one 1 time before I removed him. I'm scared to put him back in after today.

No. Throwing does is a no no! He HURT one already. Nope nope nope. They can be pushy and just rude bucky amd in rut. But actual throwing them rough he would not be given the chance to do that again. He would be getting a trip to camp kenmore after rut was over and not be breeding anyone else in the meantime.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. Throwing does is a no no! He HURT one already. Nope nope nope. They can be pushy and just rude bucky amd in rut. But actual throwing them rough he would not be given the chance to do that again. He would be getting a trip to camp kenmore after rut was over and not be breeding anyone else in the meantime.
Yea I've seen him push them around but nothing like it was today. I was afraid myself to go in to catch him but I was more afraid for my girls so I ran right in. He's out and not going back in.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,660 Posts
Why not sell him?.. I would never keep a buck who would hurt does like that...its uncalled for and NO buck should act like that. I have sold bucks on the spot for things like that before. Another thought is you could band his horns, or make him a wether. Or eat em. I had a doe, Val. I sold her because she HATED all my goats. Especially the buck.. So she went the way of the wind.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why not sell him?.. I would never keep a buck who would hurt does like that...its uncalled for and NO buck should act like that. I have sold bucks on the spot for things like that before. Another thought is you could band his horns, or make him a wether. Or eat em. I had a doe, Val. I sold her because she HATED all my goats. Especially the buck.. So she went the way of the wind.
He was my first goat and my husband really likes him so selling him just isn't in the cards right now. And I'm not sure I would want to take the chance of him hurting someone's else's Doe's. I think he's on his was to be a wether.

·
Administrator
85,534 Posts
He may or may not pass it along, but I would get rid of him as soon as possible.
He can abort or kill the does by hitting and slamming them.
Defeating the purpose of breeding.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,660 Posts
He was my first goat and my husband really likes him so selling him just isn't in the cards right now. And I'm not sure I would want to take the chance of him hurting someone's else's Doe's. I think he's on his was to be a wether.
Then I would talk to the vet and get him an appointment set up to get it his pride removed lol. Then I would also band his horns. until then, do you have somewhere you can keep him away from the girls? Or a long leash to put him on? He does not need to be with them... He could hurt them badly or even kill.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Then I would talk to the vet and get him an appointment set up to get it his pride removed lol. Then I would also band his horns. until then, do you have somewhere you can keep him away from the girls? Or a long leash to put him on? He does not need to be with them... He could hurt them badly or even kill.
How do I band his horns? He was removed and put in a pen alone he can't even see the girls. I'm calling my vet tomorrow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts