Aggressive doe

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by logansmommy7, Jan 28, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I have two does, both of which I hope are bred. The one most recently bred is being really aggressive toward the other one-constantly butting her, knocking her around, and being all around weird. What could be causing this? They have been together for a long time and always have been buddies...i know this is silly but could it be pregnancy hormones? I know what I was like when I was first preggo.... :shrug:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It could be....hormones.... or she called her a bad name... :wink:

be careful ...hopefully the doe won't hit her to hard in the gut and abort the kids....if you feel ..she is being to rough ...you may have to separate them....for the rest of the term....

Unless it is around feeding time....that it is occurring... then just separate them....while feeding... :hug:

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    If she is recently bred then she is probably just asserting her dominance. Most does do this in order to ensure a higher rank for their kids. Like Pam said though... I'd watch and make sure it settles down soon otherwise you will have to worry about her causing the other doe to abort. I had that happen this year..... my doe lost a set of triplets and she was the ONLY doe that I had bred to that buck before I sold him!!!!! Still kicking myself over that one!

4. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Maybe it means she is bred then???? :pray:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have goats who are very passive who the day after breeding will challenge the herd queen.

So yah I would say that is the case

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    when they change personalities ...yep... I agree ...it seems like she is preggo.. :thumb:

7. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I agree with others ...she is bred !! She may settle when she feels no other goat will harm her

8. donbusbin

donbusbin New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    SOME GOATS ARE JUST MEAN. I HAVE ONE WHO BUTTS JUST BECAUSE THERES A TARGET HANDY.
    I ACTUALLY HAVE TO TIE HER TO THE FENCE SO THE OTHERS CAN GET TO THE FEED TROUGH. I AM CONSIDERING INVENTING A DEVICE OF SOME SORT TO DISCOURAGE HER HABIT.
    DON

9. I would watch her, if she gets too aggressive then you need to separate her. As for just being mean, since they have been together so long this should be temporary.

If not, or if anyone has a real aggressive doe, my advise is rid of them. You will loose far more to keep a doe like that then to just let them go. If it is a doe that means that much keep something from her and move on. Just my advise to you Don. I only say this because I have been there and done that. Kept one for a long time and then she butted a doe I had bred and who was aged, three feet in the air and on her back. She was gone two days later. Best thing I ever did for my herd.

10. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I have a doe that when we got her was very timid. After a time she calmed down but was still low goatie on the totem pole but very docile. I then stuck our buck in the does pen for 45 days and then removed him. She then became head goatie and hostile toward the other two. They wouldn't even eat if she walked near the hay feeder. I have since removed her to her own pen because I was scared she would head butt one of the others and I'm pretty certain they are pregnant. The others are very happy she is gone and they can resume normal activity without looking over their shoulders.