The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one doe who is obviously the herd queen, is being way more aggressive than what I like. I am afraid she is going to injure one of my other goats. I separated her today into a pen by herself for this reason. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Does she have horns? Our queen, (who has horns), was being too bossy and we adjusted her attitude by cutting about 1/3 of her horns off. It made a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No she doesn't have horns. But she is throwing other goats to the ground very hard, knocking them off their feet, throwing them into the fence etc.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Does she do this during feeding time or when you are in the pen?
I have one who will ram any doe that she thinks is going to get more than she will...feed or attention. What I've done has been to hold her while the others go to opposite ends of the shed to the other hay feeders, once she see's that she has her own feeder to herself she generally settles down.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't matter where I am or the other goats are. The others could be 20' away just grazing and she will race over to them and start knocking them to the ground! I mean this just seems so vicious. I will try to get a video and post it so you can see.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I had two does suddenly start doing this.. They are bigger than the others and use that to their advantage. I would try breaking the random fights up, but to no avail. I put them in their own pen about a week ago, and will leave them in there for another week or so and then put them back one at a time.. I am looking for new homes for them ;)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I ended up having to sell her. It wasn't fair to her to be separated and she was going to hurt someone.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I had a doe like that and did the horn trim thing....worked for a week. I ended up selling her and talked to the person who bought her threw the sale. She said after she killed 2 kids went to the butcher house. So I would say try and make her cut it out or sell. I just told this story lol....my buck goes threw sprees where he will beat the girls up during feeding time and will guard the feed. I a shock collar on him and watched and zap him for a day.....he straightened right out. I know some might think this is mean but in his case its either that or down the road and most likely death. The live by himself didn't work for him it kinda made him worse. But you can get a short distance shock Coller fairly cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts