The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nubian dry yearling that is really aggressive to most people.The other day she headbutted a young girl who did not touch or aggravate her in any way. She is also aggressive to goats younger than herself. She is very loving towards me and is very attached.please help!

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Is she aggressive when you are not around her or it might be better to say is she more aggressive? Lots of goats get very possessive of their people. Here we dont get to many small people other then my nieces and the goats are often scared of fast moving, fast talking lil humans. The key to fixing behavior is expose them to lots of different people of all ages. Have friends or neighbors take her for a walk. Have a bunch of people all at the same time pet and scratch her. Once she realizes all people are good to have around, she should be ok with em all.

Younger goats on the other hand. That is something you will most likely not be able to do much about unless you separate her from them. In ever goat herd there is a ranking system. There is always 1 herd boss. A few underbosses who will stand with the herd boss if she picks or gets in a fight with another goat. Even one of the underbosses. Ranks are often tested weekly if not daily depending upon the size of the herd. So in your yearlings case I would either guess she is a low ranking goat that gets pushed around by the higher ranking goats and is paying it forward to the kids OR she is just a jerk that will soon be testing bosses for rank in the next year or so. Good luck.

·
1,524 Posts
I would be very worried that she will hurt someone. I don't tolerate any aggressive behavior towards humans in any of my animals (except my Great Pyrenees).

A spray bottle with water works well to disclipline goats. You could give it to the victims of your killer goat. When the goat acts like she is going to go after them, have them yell "NO" and spray the doe in the face. This should teach the doe some respect for humans, because that is what she does not have. She respects you but no one else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts