Agressive Goats..

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by VincekFarm, Mar 10, 2012.

1. VincekFarm

VincekFarm Senior Member

Well I put my little 3 month old doeling in with my 11 month old junior. They have been doing very well for the several weeks that they've been together, lying around together etc. But, yesterday when I came to feed there was dried blood all over the doeling's ear, some on her face and belly too. My guess is that the 11 month doe bit her ear or something? I seperated them anyways. Has any one else ever had their goats display such agression towards one another?
    Thanks,
    Natasha ;D

2. Willow

Willow Senior Member

Most likely establishing dominance. Not uncommon to go for the ears...which bleed a lot. Normal if it doesn't get any worse. Your junior doe might have made her point. I would them together. If separated too long the junior might feel she has to start over again establishing her dominance. Keep an eye on them to make sure the aggression isn't excessive.

3. Plumbago

Plumbago New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Hi Natasha
    Yes I agree too - don't separate them as it will probably start all over again ... they will be fine and will establish the pecking order.
    Sometimes easier to turn a 'blind eye' but keep a sneaky watch - very unusual for does to absolutely injure each other - one will back off as this is very natural in the herd situation - you can't change it.
    The younger one will learn to stand up for herself.
    Cheers Chris

4. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I concur. The reason the ear bleeds so much when injured is simply because all the blood vessels are packed right in there at the surface. Its probably less scary than it looks.

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree, I'd keep them together, and make sure it was the other doe. Is there any chance at all she could have injured herself? Does the junior doe show any kind of aggression that you've noticed? Goats have a tendancy to get injured on the most simple things. Did you see anything like bite marks on her belly or was it just dried blood from her ear?

Our herd queen is MEAN to other goats, so we have to watch her especially when everyone is kidding so she isn't mean to their babies.
    Now the youngest baby knows how she is and will run away LOL

6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Just wanted to share a little story to keep in mind
    I had a doe named sammy, she was a brat and beat up everyone, I tiped her horns, not a lot just enough so she didnt want to use them any more. Worked for about a week then went back to being mean. The day after she tryed going after my son was the day she was sold. The lady that owns the auction bought her, and I told her the story of her. 6 months later was sold and ate since she killed 4 kids and hurt 2 does badly, 1 lost her kids. I would still do what everyone has said to do, just wanted to share since I would never belive one would be that mean!

7. Natural Beauty Farm

Natural Beauty Farm New Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Sorry no help. I've never put an older kid in the same pen with a younger one. Seen too many get killed at other farms, its just not worth it to me. Keep an eye on them and I wish you luck.

8. VincekFarm

VincekFarm Senior Member

I found the younger doeling in the stall dead today. I believe the cause of death was choking, since she had a piece of hay hanging from her mouth when she was found. :(
    R.I.P.

And well, thank you all for your input.

9. J.O.Y. Farm

J.O.Y. Farm ~Crazy Goat Lady~

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    :hug: Sorry for your loss....

10. Willow

Willow Senior Member

So sorry for your loss! :sigh: