The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: found the answer. Up to 40 days. Eek. So, going natural.

One of my pretty girls has mites, thanks to bringing a new doe home so I've started treating with agri-mectin injectable. I ended up separating everyone out in our 2 goat houses and haven't injected the few that are due within in the next month because I can't find anything pertaining to milk withdrawal. The bottle itself even says don't give to lactating animals which I didn't notice until yesterday.

Is there something better I should buy to use on them and just save this stuff for the boys? Or treat naturally/topically and cross my finger that it works? I have a lot of years of herbal and aromatherapy experience with humans and have made scabies concoctions that worked on some of my kiddo's friends so theoretically I feel like that should work for a goat, right? Wishful thinking?

Finger Font Material property Terrestrial plant Publication

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am pretty sure that cylense does not jave a milk wd time and is safe for pregnant livestock. Not positive so look it up.
I just read that cylense has a 2-4 day withdrawal.

Then I found this on the Thrifty Homesteader site:

"For example, if you give a goat an oral dose of ivermectin, the milk withdrawal is between six and nine days, depending upon the dose. However, if you inject the same amount that would have a six day milk withdrawal orally, the milk withdrawal for that same dosage when injected is 35 to 40 days!"

So I'm going natural.

·
Super Moderator
34,665 Posts
We used ivimec plus for years before turning to herbal. We withheld milk for 4 days. It's not the recommended, but never caused harm to us. Many do the same as ivomectin is one dewormer used in humans around the world. Now if we were to get milk to a young child or baby...we gave milk not effected by ivomectin. It was a personal choice. Otherwise 30 to 40 days of milk is lost. You could freeze it for soap making or bottle babies.

Cylence has zero milk withdrawal.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We used ivimec plus for years before turning to herbal. We withheld milk for 4 days. It's not the recommended, but never caused harm to us. Many do the same as ivomectin is one dewormer used in humans around the world. Now if we were to get milk to a young child or baby...we gave milk not effected by ivomectin. It was a personal choice. Otherwise 30 to 40 days of milk is lost. You could freeze it for soap making or bottle babies.

Cylence has zero milk withdrawal.
Thank you! I finally just found 35 to 40 days last night after searching for two days, lol. I have never given anything like this to my girls and knowing that, I just can't. I absolutely wouldn't drink a single drop of it or give it to anyone else. And honestly I wouldn't even feel comfortable putting it in soap, either. I'm so anti-chemical and so sensitive that I would likely get very sick. I had heard people say a week before so I thought that meant it literally flushed 100% out of their system within that time. My gut said no, you better figure this out for real. So glad! So the natural route it is.

We had lice here a couple of times in the past several years and I've learned that it's super easy to get rid of naturally if you're super diligent. We shall see about mites. I'll share my recipe if it works as well as I think it will. ♡

·
Super Moderator
34,665 Posts
We use land of havilah parasite formula (herbs) and quality essential oils now and are pleased with it. I understand that rusk invced for many with chemicals.

Reactions: farmerA

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We use land of havilah parasite formula (herbs) and quality essential oils now and are pleased with it. I understand that rusk invced for many with chemicals.
That's exactly what I use too. I love it! It seems like every time I add a new goat we end up with lice or in this case mites (I think) and all I've ever treated them with for lice is wondercide which is a totally 100% natural cedar product. It works phenomenally well but it's super time intensive because I treat everyone everyday for a week, then every other day for a week and then every third day for two weeks because I'm OCD, lol. I think this time I'll not be so over-the-top but I'll still do the wondercide and in case it's mites, a bunch of essential oils like clove, rosemary and tea tree in a base of neem oil. That should definitely do the trick.

With internal parasites, in the past 4 years with an average of 9 goats, I've only "had to" use chemical dewormer once and that was only because the person buying her didn't want to mess with the herbs, he said. I've never understood that. It's always so nice to find other people that do things more holistically. ♡

1 - 15 of 15 Posts