The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the other day I saw this on the AGS website:

"At the request of some AGS members, the Breeds and Registration Committee is currently working on a proposal for the possible reinstatement of such books within AGS. A proposal must first be presented to the Board at our annual convention. If the proposal is approved by the Board it must then be approved by the members attending the general membership meeting also held during convention. If a proposal makes it to this stage, a first class ballot would be mailed to all members eligible to vote and would have to be approved by a 2/3 majority."

Is this recent?
How likely is it to pass?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Huh.. I guess maybe it is recent. I hadn't seen that before.

I think it could go either way. No one I know is even a member of AGS anymore, so I have no idea what other breeders think or how they'd vote. My concern would be over if this would relate to NDs.

I don't think it matters whether they accept grades or not. ADGA already recognizes standard sized grades and Americans. No kidding, everyone in my area whether it's NDs, grades, or purebreds doesn't want to waste time with AGS anymore. :/ We don't have any AGS shows and it doesn't raise the value of the kids at all. The value is in the DHI/LA data visible on our ADGA papers. No matter which way this goes though AGS can't compete with ADGA. :( But, if they accept new goats then that would be a whole new clientele for AGS. That could keep them afloat longer.

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
I think AGS is on it's way out. Every reputable dairy breeder seems to use ADGA primarily now, if not exclusively.

I agree with ciwheeles; I don't think it matters if they accept grades or not. It would be interesting, however, to see if they will let grade nigerians in because ADGA does not.

It makes me wonder if they're not just considering this because they've lost so many members to ADGA and are not bringing in money to keep going. Registering grades might bring in new members and more registrations.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
I used to have Nigerians registered thru them, but I never registered my standard goats thru them. I always felt they were too stuck on themselves by not allowing the breeding up program. I have/had some very nice grade animals and have seen some butt ugly AGS registered purebreds.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting. I switched to ADGA from AGS after a little while, AGS was very slow getting back to me with questions, paperwork, etc. so I switched to ADGA. I am really happy with the results I have gotten from them, and I like their genetics page online and their membership privileges better. I am a firm supporter of purebred Nigerians, but it would be interesting to see what their plan is...
Elli/Sugar Brook Farm/Nigerians

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.