The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what you guys thought about these two associations. I have registrable goats from both associations do I have to be a member to register them? Also which one is easier to use? Could I register baby's from parents registered to opposite associations? Also I bought a do already registered how do I get it so she is registered under my name? Do I have to be a member for that? Sorry about all he questions I'm quite confused... Thanks to anyone who helps me:)

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
No, you do not have to be a member to use their services, however, there is a higher fee for non members.

To register goats that you have bred. You need to apply for a herd name and tattoo.

AGS and ADGA will accept each other's papers. So lets say you have an AGS dam and an ADGA sire, their kids can be registered with either or both AGS and ADGA. To do this, you just need to fill out a registration application for each registry and make copies of the sire or dam's registration certificate and attach it to the kid's application.

If you purchased a registered goat. The previous owner needs to sign a "bill of sale" over to you so you can transfer the goat in your name. Bill of sales for AGS goats can be found on their website. ADGA certificates have a place at the bottom where the seller can sign to transfer the goat to you. AGS bill of sale forms have to be printed off their website and sent in with the goats certificate.

I like ADGA a lot better, they have more options, more shows, they're more organized. They are a bit more expensive and their staff can be a little rude sometimes, but they are the top dairy goat registry. I've had enough of AGS and will no longer be registering my goats with them. A lot of breeders are doing ADGA only now and not AGS.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I'm almost positive you have to be a member to register with both of them, but I just heard that ADGA sometimes allows people to register if their not a member..?? Not sure if that's right, but if that were the case you have to pay more money I think because your not a member. (edit) Oh okay well then that settles the membership thing and now I have my facts straight. :eek:

If a goat is registered with AGS then ADGA will recognize that and you can get paperwork with them too or vise versa. I just started that with my does. They were AGS and I wanted them to also be ADGA and I got it done. The parents were all AGS and that didn't cause an issue at all. :)

As far as easy to use I like ADGA better. They have more shows, I can look up pedigrees online, and they just have a lot more stuff in general. AGS is nice, but just not as nice as them.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so we have the bill of sale we just haven't turned t in yet we want to become members so that we get the discount first. Then after that (well I guess before that) we have to choose one registry to use and then register all of my goats to that one registry.

How do you guys register do you prefer mail or online? I have access to both I just want the one that's easier.

Thanks so much for your help I was stumped!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
I agree 100% with Kylee! ADGA all the way for me for the reasons she mentioned..
I also am done with AGS...

Plus, ADGA is much faster with getting papers mailed to you, it takes AGS FOREVER (has taken them more then a month for me many times...)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Sounds like the ADGA is the way to go! I respect you guys and value your opinions greatly you guys (meaning everyone on the site) have helped me on more than one occasion. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts