agustus has a spot

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 4kids, Jan 31, 2010.

1. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Agustus (almost 3 weeks old) has a spot on his side where the hair is all gone. It is in the shape of a donut. He itches at it with his back feet. It looks like dry scatchy skin but NOT red. His mother was wormed after kidding. He does still nurse. He is the weakest of our three kids. All my goats are a little itchy. I can't see any lice and no signs of mange. I tried to clean out his stall but the hay is frozen on the bottom like a block. I did put fresh hay down. Should I worm him? He is overall weak though still standing. I put him back in the stall with Wildflower and the other two kids. I am worried though.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Is it where you gave his BoSe shot? If not then I'd probably put some sort of anti-fungal on it like BlueKote.

3. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Well I think he was cold. Took his temp 103.6. Gave some B-complex and put him in the house with his sister, adoptive sister and mama under the heat lamp. When I went in to feed Athena he was jumping up on me and seemed all happy. The spot is still there. I could have spilled a little b0-se on him. Honestly, I was so stressed that he was floppy and I had just helped deliver the still born that I don't remember which side I gave the injection.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    is there a way to get a picture of the spot?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    103.6 is not a low temp -- so that is not why he is scratching at himself.

but it could be dry skin or somthing - how big is the spot?

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
  7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I was thinking ringworm too.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, I was thinking ringworm as well, that's why I suggested blueKote ;)

9. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    My first thought was ringworm (experience with humans). It is not red or raised. I will try to get photo tomorrow. I realized the temp was good just trying to cover all bases!

10. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    When I went out this morning I saw Agustus nurse, urinate and he was jumping on me. But I did hear him grinding his teeth. This is the second time I hae heard it and I am now really worried. What am I missing?