AH I REALLY want these goats I am in love! got a price

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Dec 16, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Can you tell I'm all excited??????????

A friend emailed me with an opportunity to buy a herd of British Alpine, registered does ....

oooooh maaaaaan I really really really really want them!

The original email I got there was 10 kids, 3 goatlings and 10 senior does in milk. I contacted the breeder today and he has left 4 kids, 3 goatlings and 9 senior does in milk.

Now, I looooove British Alpines but I only have one (Maddie) and there is no guarantee that she will breed for me (so old). And the thing is, she is the only BA in our area, in about a 6 hr radius. And I have had a lot of people asking me about BAs wanting to buy some off me. Soooo .... I'm really really wanting to get these goats and have a full blown stud. Because apart from loving them, I think I could sell some too.

Okay, here's where I take a deeep breath and try to think rationally about this. They wanted $4000 for the complete lot, that works out about $174 a head, with the remaining 15 head that puts me up for $2610 ... I dont have 2610 but maybe they would drop the price a little, to 2500 (even that little bit would help). And I really need to sell my angoras first because apart from needing the money obviously I cant add another 15 goats to my already crowded crowded crowded little acre. Plus they are about 11 hrs away so factor in petrol money to the purchase price ...

And I need to consider how much they are going to cost to maintain ... I'm doing the number crunching and the first thing I have figured out is its going to cost $218.40 a week to feed the bunch of them eeek! :GAAH: Now I need to number crunch the other side of the equation and figure out what sort of money I'm going to be making off the milk ... considering there are 9 in milk does in the bunch so really that equals instant income, and although I havent got the records from the breeder yet I would *expect* at least 4L/doe/day ... need to ring the guy just down the road who has dairy goats and find out a) what the markets are and b) what the prices are and c) whether the markets would take any more milk.

Whooooo ... another deep breath.

I am trying to figure out how to post the pictures for you guys, cos they are some really nice looking goats and just cute cute photos but the breeder sent them to me in a word doc ... and I cant figure out how to do it that way. Any ideas?

Sorry for this very long and confusing post, it is basically my stream of consciousness bubbling up out of me :greengrin: lol

Can you tell I really want these goats??

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Re: AH AH AH I REALLY want these goats I am in love! DROOOLING

i think that would be soo cool!

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

I know I know I know!

Any ideas how to get the pics here SDK?

I'm gonna sit down and make some hard decisions, bout whether I want to get rid of some more of my goats to maybe make way for these ...

Goats really are addictive arent they? At a point where I am despairing cos I cant sell my goats ... here I am wanting to buy more :doh:

They are REALLY gorgeous though GRR I wish I could show you!

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

Got the pics sorted out ... coming soon

6. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia

Keren are they 11 hours up, down or west? xD

7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

Keren, I think you could copy and paste the photos on the Paint or whichever drawing type document you have, then upload them to Photobucket? Or the other program you said you use?

As for the British Alpines..

I think that is a good price, you should ask if he will take a deposit on some until you find time to get them? Is he getting out of goats all together? Maybe he is looking for some boers and cashmeres?

If you can't buy the whole batch, you could also just get half, if one of the kids is a buck just get a couple does that aren't related to the buck so you will have him for joining, and work your way up, especially if there is a demand for British Alpines. I calculated with my four new Nubian does, I can make a $1,800-2000 profit each year (which is enough for me) from the milk and kids I would sell, and that also takes into factor feed costs; obviously that depends on the market for milk, but comparing to store bought prices, it could work out. I would definantly compare milk prices in your area, and figure out each does' milk production. I don't know about Australia, but over here you can have a milk truck come and get your milk to be sent wherever it goes for treating and packaging.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

Thanks for your input Amos (you are a really switched on guy!). I got the pics up in another thread ...

I was sort of thinking I have a number of options:

- I can ask if he will accept a deposit when I pick them up and allow me to pay off the rest (I know a lot of people are good about doing this, its how I bought a bunch of my angoras which incidently I am selling now lol);

- I can only buy some of them in which case I would go for the in milk does because they are already producing, he doesnt have any bucks/bucklings/buckkids but I dont mind as I would probably head in the other direction, get a completely outcrossed buck

- I can ask if he is interested in some angoras lol or boers as a swap - to maybe get the price down a little

I do think there is a demand for BAs around here.

As far as income is concerned, I have figured out there are a few different ways I could make some money from them

- selling whole milk for drinking - not a huge market around here but some health food shops may be interested
    - cheese making - market is kinda satiated with that at the moment, not something I would want to do
    - soap making - there is a local soap kitchen who I am trying to contact to see if they are interested
    - there are two big producers (one a commercial dairy with 150+ milking does and the other a stud with about 13 milking does) in my area and I thought I will have to contact them to see what their markets are, whether they could do with some more milk
    - poddy raising - I am thinking about doing this maybe with half of the milk, if I cannot get rid of all of it through the other markets - just an idea at the moment but I thought about either buying poddies and raising until sale age, or offering a poddy raising service for people where I charge a fee per animal, raise it then give it back to them weaned.

I just need to do the number crunching now.

The goat dairy industry is not well developed here, and appears to focus on show goats and pets. Which is not a bad thing, however it means that we dont have services like the milk truck coming as you mentioned, and we also dont have very established markets for milk. Basically you have to create your own market.

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

I just got this txt from mum:

Merry xmas! You + sam got gov bonus of one thousand dollars! Car ins was due yesterday but dad can do it thu or fri should b ok!

Ok so the second part is not relevant :oops: but the first bit is exciting!

The government has been giving out a Christmas bonus, to pensioners and now to young people who are looking for work and/or studying ... I come under the looking for work and studying category.

So now, if I can just sell these angoras I think this may just be possible!

10. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia

Yay!

That is alot of money and should help heaps! :dance:

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

Alyssa, I forgot to answer you before :oops: sorry!

They are west ... over in Sth Australia so it will be a bit of a hike if I decide to go through with it!

lol I nearly wrote east then ... well that would be bad considering I'd be in either the ocean or NZ!

12. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia

ahahahaha
    Just drive straight off a pier, I promise the car will drive in water. =D

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

lol now be nice or I wont let you show any of them ....

:greengrin: just joking

they are so pretty I cant stop looking at them

just found out AgStart wont give grants for livestock purchases :( so that idea is out the window

14. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

That is great! Extra money is always helpful.
    I've heard of some people just buying goat milk to make soaps, cheese, and other milk products, hopefully there are a couple people like that out there..
    That would be more difficult if there is not much market over there.. but atleast businesses will buy the products, over here it is hard to find buyers for raw milk, especially since it is illegal to advertise raw milk in my state :sigh:

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

Well amos you are lucky because it is completely illegal to sell raw goat milk for drinking anywhere in australia! and you are not allowed to make cheeses with raw milk either (which bums me right out because the roquefort has to be imported and i just love it but it is like $70 a kilo but I digress again)

Even if I dont use that money to buy these goats, it will be really helpful just feeding my current goats, because I do someone that will take the angoras in jan. So that will feed them till then.

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

FURTHER INFORMATION FROM BREEDER:

the doe kids (there are actually 5 not 4) are 4 - 5 mths old bottle reared. All twins and triples.

The goatlings are a year old, all twins and triples.

The senior does:

2 x 4 yr olds, one dry one 1st lactation
    5 x 3 yr olds, four on 2nd lactation one on 1st lactation
    2 x 2 yr olds, 1st lactation

all twins and triples.

producing about 4 L milk per day.

The info on the snr does is confusing me a little, the does seem to be fairly old for their first lactation, but I'm thinking that they have been milked through for longer than a year? In which case several of them are going to be near the end of their lactation and need joining soon (I would probably go Feb/March 09)

17. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Re: AH I REALLY want these goats I am in love! more info

they could have had a problem settling.. i know i've had does like that

18. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

Or they could be real slow growers?

19. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

ok so I looked a little closer at the email and five out of the nine should be in peak lactation having kidded in August (they are the mothers of the five kids) and I've asked the breeder when the last kidding was for the other four. If they are having trouble breeding I'm not too thrilled about that. But if they were just milked through then ok.

In particular the two 2004 does concern me ...

Kineta - born in 2004 - currently on 1st lactation? now, if she kidded as a 2 yr old and has been milked through for two years ok, but otherwise ...

Haylee - born in 2004 - currently dry. Has she kidded before? When?

So I wait for more info again ... lol

20. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

That's really neat!! What a great opportunity!!