The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, ugh. Checking pooches regularly because my girls are both on day 146 of pregnancy, and noticed pinworms on one today. Needless to say, I feel like they're crawling all over me and I want to burn everything, including the new pen we just built.

What's your best go-to worming solution for pinworms in particular?

And more importantly, I'm getting super mixed responses in my research here - can pinworms be transmitted to humans? I am so disgusted right now. The things these creatures put me through...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
From what I can find, the pinworms that infect humans and other primates are different than the pinworms in horses, cattle, sheep, goats, etc. Seems they are species specific. They’re more of a pest and rarely life threatening.

I’m not sure which dewormers work best. I believe I have heard of people using safeguard/panacur, but I know many herds have a resistance to that dewormer now. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
For pinworms I use ivermectin and Safeguard day 1, Safeguard day 2, Safeguard day 3,Safeguard until day 5 lol.
Ivermectin at day 10.
Put the pen of goats in your worming pen, they crawl from goat to goat. Get rid of all bedding and power spray the stall.

Feed your pasture. The threadworm is a normal nematode unless it is starved. If they are infecting your herd, they are hungry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts