The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so for DAYS now I've spent hours and hours on fence issues.

Between the littles that can go under and the bigs that can PUSH it over I'm really fried.

Miriam my HUGE saanen just "walks" right over the fence if the littles found a way over. She likes to be with the herd.

My littles are two saanen/boer babies, Charlie and Cupcake which are ND/Nubian mixes.

They've figured out how to go UNDER the fence.

I've spent hours upon hours reinforcing the fence. Rocks along the bottom, extra logs, branches, fence posts to make it harder to knock over.

I have a lot that is fully fenced and is 1300 feet long by 120 feet wide. Working on 1300 feet x 2 sides is wearing on my body. I had hip surgery day before Thanksgiving.

Suggestions? I'm buying the one lot next to us, so if they go over there it's not that big of a deal, but the other side is a commercial guava orchard..... They are not pleased about the goats getting over there!

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
We use cattle panels and T posts. It's tall and sturdy, cheap, easy to put up and move, the only problem is that kids can get through it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
We don't have a lot of fencing experience with goats yet. Our paddock is 5 foot high woven wire with cedar posts. It seems pretty good and the 2 we have haven't attempted to go anywhere but I'm sure once the rest arrive and there's more competition.... but we also have cattle panels and electronet to make moveable pasture. Around here the goat farms I've visited use one of those or both. I know a farm that uses cattle panels all the way around and then a 2 foot space and electronet around that.

Can you work on fortifying the guava farm side so if they escape they're going to the other lot and not the side that will get them in trouble?

·
Super Moderator
59,611 Posts
Can you attach fencing that will curve and be on the ground part way? Then put those staples in to hold down the fencing.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Karen's comment reminded me of something........Do you have extra metal clothes hangers? If you do, cut them into about 6" sections and bend them into a 'U' shape. You can drive them into the ground with a hammer and it will keep the fence bottom held down. Even if you don't have extra's, metal clothes hangers are cheap.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 2 by 4 inches on one side and 4 by 4 inches on the other side, livestock fencing on top of lava. There is no way hangers or any metal is going into the lava. My husband had to use a pick axe to chip away holes in the lava and then set the posts in concrete. The ground is very uneven. So I'm piling rocks up against the bottom to keep them from going under. However they've figured out ways to move the rocks! lol

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Wooden posts? Nail or screw a 2X4 or 2X6 to the posts, maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the ground. That will prevent them from pushing the fence out and getting under it. For a little extra insurance, you could then staple the bottom of the fence to the 2X4 or 2X6. If your posts are not wood, you can also wire the boards - just make sure the ends of the wire tie are on the outside so they don't scratch, cut, or puncture something.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
My bad. I was so busy trying to help you out that I didn't look at your location - even though you gave several indications. :eek: Sorry. There is always wire!

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
There is electric mesh, sold by horse.com I think. We've been looking into it for our bucks, so they can get out to eat some other stuff. I'd still look into cattle panels.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Oh yeah.. They learn about electric fence real quick ;)

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Because of the shipping price cattle panels are out of our price range. They are VERY expensive here.
Oh wow! I didn't even think about that. I'll bet they are! I was looking into the bigger Port-A-Huts for shelter. The closest dealer I can find is Wray, Colorado and he doesn't stock the big ones. To have it shipped in from the manufacturer in Iowa would be $500 just for trucking.

·
1,524 Posts
The electric mesh works well, but not sure how you would use it on lava!

Its been really wet here, and today the goats pushed over an entire section of fencing. The T posts just gave way because the ground is so wet. They got into my squash garden. To say I was mad is an understatement. I couldn't afford to go grocery shopping last winter and lived on oatmeal (animal grade), eggs and goat milk. I plan on growing a bunch of stuff this year and the goats are trying to sabotage my attempts.

So, I locked them in the barn and dragged out the full section of electric mesh. I set it all up, got the electric fence working 100% and let them back out. Hmmm.....the fence is still up, they are still in and my garden is happy.

I hope they each get a really good zap on their wet little noses! That should keep them i n for a good long time.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
A friend of mine that raises cattle once told me a trick to electric-fence train. He said to hang cheap aluminum pie plates on it. Cows get curious, come to investigate, smell and get zapped! He also said they usually only do it once. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts