The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up the two "for sale" pigs from the processor today. Yay! 3/4 of the sausage is gone already. We only did half a hog in cuts to see how well it sells for us. But it is goin pretty quickly too. Kinda surprised on that one. But it is good.

Many people have asked us about bacon. We did not do bacon this time... it is crazy expensive to have the processor do it here. So we passed. I told paul he might need buy a few bellies from the mom n pop butcher here and make bacon. Then compare it to his bacon and see if he wanted to make more to sell too. So i guess we will see what he decides.

We still have our hogs to process here. But this crazy weather is not makin it easy to pick a day. Ugh! Rain or too warm.

EEBF313E-8DA1-4C17-B82C-904746B3A3E0.jpeg

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Yummy, yum, yum! I processed a little hog 2 years ago. I had to do it a little earlier than I wanted. He got a taste for blood and killed several chickens and then a lamb. Enough was enough and he was sent to freezer camp at 6 months old. Boy was he tasty! I made a ham and some bacon, and lots of sausage meat. Unfortunately, my cats unplugged my freezer. It was a little while before I noticed and all of the pork and venison had to be turned to dog/animal food. Seeing all that pork you've got makes me remember the fresh and yummy taste! I wish you were closer! I can't find good fresh pork anywhere down here.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not far from my house is a pig farm, pig meat there costs ~ 2,9 US $ for 1 kg.
d3d3lnnkzwxhbm91bmfzlnj1l3vwbg9hzhmvnc80lzq0nde0odm4otiwmjrfb3jpzy5qcgvnp19fawq9ody1mze=.jpg

As I heard, this meat contains antibiotics. Homemade pork costs at least us $ 3.95 per 1 kg or more.

As a rule, a small farmer keeps 3 piglets, the cost of maintenance is covered by the price for one pig, the second is left to the family, and the third is an additional profit.

It would be nice to reduce the cost of feeding the pigs. We can take free vegetables and fruits at the market, at the end of the day and I agreed with the dining room and pick up waste there, 5 times a week.
DSC_1874.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a beauty of a freezer! Also, I LOVE your genius hack for keeping the packs from sliding out by tying the string vertically...I'll have to steal that idea too if you don't mind, it's very smart!
Haaha a friend does this with his burger meat. Bungie cords work better than bailing twine. :). Our friend loves his twine and we used it in a pinch but paul picked up the cords a d i like it much netter. It holds great but i can get my hand in there easier.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yummy, yum, yum! I processed a little hog 2 years ago. I had to do it a little earlier than I wanted. He got a taste for blood and killed several chickens and then a lamb. Enough was enough and he was sent to freezer camp at 6 months old. Boy was he tasty! I made a ham and some bacon, and lots of sausage meat. Unfortunately, my cats unplugged my freezer. It was a little while before I noticed and all of the pork and venison had to be turned to dog/animal food. Seeing all that pork you've got makes me remember the fresh and yummy taste! I wish you were closer! I can't find good fresh pork anywhere down here.
Oh dang! The lil turd and the unplugging. Ours got unplugged last year too.... they guys installed me a wonderfully nifty box after that. One of the close and open to get the plug in or out boxes. So no more accidentals with that.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Oh dang! The lil turd and the unplugging. Ours got unplugged last year too.... they guys installed me a wonderfully nifty box after that. One of the close and open to get the plug in or out boxes. So no more accidentals with that.
Oooh, that sounds like something I need! Would be much better than having to check it every day to make sure they didn't unplug it! It's not a problem in the winter, but in late spring, summer, and early fall it's usually pretty warm and sometimes hard to notice if its unplugged since the plugs are behind everything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts