Ahhhhh!!! What's going on with this doe?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Cinder, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I got a 6 yr. old Nubian doe about a month or so ago. She had been run with a LaMancha buck for six weeks and so everyone assumed she is pregnant. She would be due the end of March at the earliest.

I brought an Alpine buck in here last Monday (for my Alpine girl who I can't figure out when she's in heat) and he's been running with them all week. He's had no interest in anybody since he's been here and they haven't been interested in him. They've all just ignored each other and been fine together.

At night I put that Nubian in a different stall with two other Nubians and then put her back in the larger stall during the day. This morning he was at the gate trying to get to her as I brought her up to the gate to put her in. He was pushing on the gate which surprised me so I turned around and checked her butt. She was slightly goopy under her tail, with her tail wet and slightly goopy. I put her in and he was ALL over her, he ran her around for a few minutes, even trying to mount her, and then cornered her and stood there right next to her looking from her head to her tail and "talking" to her (it was quite funny listening to him -- it was like he was asking her permission to do... well, you know! :dance: ). She wants nothing to do with him.

What's going on?

My thought (and remember I'm the complete newbie to this part of goats) is that she isn't pregnant and is coming into heat?

edited for spelling

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It is possible that she was not covered when you got her, as Nubians are seasonal breeders. It could be that tomorrow she will be in standing heat and can be bred if you wanted.

3. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Yes, it's certainly possible that she wasn't covered. I just figured if she ran with a buck for 6 weeks she'd be preggers.

I absolutely do want her bred so I'm going to leave her in with the buck. I'd rather have a Nubian/Alpine babies anyways. But, I just want her to freshen so I have her to milk. I'm in the process of drying her off right now because I thought she was due the end of March.

Now, I have no idea on when to expect kids from her..... :shrug:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    she seems to be in season to me....you may have to tie her up ......so he can get her..
    Some are that way....especially ...some of the first timers... :) Good Luck

5. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Tie her up? Ok, she is six and has had kids many times before. Should I wait another day and see how she acts tomorrow or tie her today? Do I tie her to a fence with just a lead rope attached to her collar? He has left her alone for the last several hours now, they are still in the same pen. I think I'll leave her in there tonight instead of moving her like usual also.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt tie her up, when she is ready she will stand for him (if not already pregnant).

If you dont witness him breeding her I would still note her as possibly bred as of tomorrow (if she has contact with him tomorrow as it seems you said she will) so that if she doesnt start showing signs of being far enough along in March you at least have a breeding date to go on.

If she wasnt cycling when with the buck she wouldnt stand for him resulting in no breeding not matter how long she was with him.

She also could be sending off pregnancy hormones with are causing bucky to get excited. So she still could be pregnant for March.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California