AI question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kelebek, Jul 24, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have some questions regarding AI - and everyone that I talk to on a regular basis has not worked with AI - so here are my questions -

- How much is it typically to collect the semen for later use?

- How many straws can a buck typically give on each collection?

- How many straws are used per AI?

- How many straws are used per doe?

- How long are straws good for?

- If you were purchasing a buck, and the current owner wanted to put a clause in the contract that he would have the option to pay to collect semen for their personal use what would you think.... this being on a younger buck that has great lines .......

2. I can't tell you much about AIs in goats. I used to do them with my Danes and I did the collection and all.

As for the contract unless it was a good friend, which would not need a contract then, you couldn't pay me enough to have my goat obligated to someone else. Basically a clause like that say, I can use him whenever I want and you are doing all the work. Not me, if I buy a goat I want it to me mine solely.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What would you think of putting a limit on the amount of straws, time limit on how long they have to collect, and that they can only be used on their own personally herd?

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Can't really help you with AI info., but you could try looking at some breeders website...see if they do AI and then email and ask if they would answer any questions.

Like jdgray said...I wouldn't want to have the buck obligated to the previous owner for collection. That would be a big "turn off" if I was shopping for a buck. What the owner should do is collect semen before selling and freeze it. Otherwise, that would just be way to much hassle for the buyer, imo.

5. Ditto, my thoughts exactly.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
  7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm really interested in AI and am signed up for a workshop at Langston in September, from my limited knowledge about it though here's what I think.

Typically you use only one straw per doe, at the most two. The straws can be kept for a really long time, I hear of people asking about using bucks that have been dead for several years.

On both my Nubian bucks that I purchased the breeders reserved the right to purchase 20 straws of semen at collection costs if they wanted to. I didn't' have a problem with that at all.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Here is my thoughts - and this is why I was asking .......

My buck - who is a young guy, comes from champ blood lines and has a milking star. But he does not currently have any daughters in the show ring or anything. My worry with the previous owner wanting the straws is that what IF his daughters turn out magnificent in the show ring and now she has straws after I did breedings and got the kids to the show ring ---- see what I mean.....

I thought about putting a limit say - you can collect 20 straws within the next two years all at her expense with a clause that says they can only be used on her personal does - and not for resale - but after two years from a specific date the deal is void....

I payed decent money for this guy - so not sure.

9. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    The cost depends on how many straws and whatever rates that processor charges. Normally there is a minimum number of 30 straws and it normally costs around $130 for 30 straws. So you want to make sure it is a buck you really want to have collected not not something you will be tossing out of the tank in a couple years. Ideally a buck that is proven.
    If your buck's semen dosen't freeze for whatever reason you can still expect to pay $50-$75 for the processing.
    The buck should ideally be copper boulused and given a shot of Bo-Se one month before the collection date to insure semen quality. He should be used 5-7 days prior to the collection day then not used again until collection day.

It should take one straw per breeding as long as you make sure you have the timing correct. You want to breed the doe close to ovulation time but not after ovulation.
    We did well by checking the mucous but I have been hearing a foolproof method of getting timing right is to give the doe a shot of Cystorellin as soon as you see her in heat and AI her 4-6 hours later. The Cystorellin will make the doe ovulate exactly 12 hours later.
    The dairy cow farmers use this method in conjunction with lute http://www.napoleonvet.com/dairy.html

It is possible to breed two does with a single straw if you have two does ready to go at exactly the same time. Once the straw has been out of the tank for more than about 5 second it must be used or will be lost. No refreezing.
    It is a good idea to always first attempt to get through the sheath through the cervical rings before thawing any semen because if you cannot it will fail and you will have lost the semen.
    It is a good idea to check the tiny bit of semen left over in the straw after breeding a doe under a microscope just to make sure it is alive and moving so if the breeding dosen't take you can rule out the semen having been dead from the start.

There is no expiration date on semen as long as the semen and tank has been cared for properly over the years. The tank should never get below 2-3 inches or it could dry off and everything in it would be lost.
    I know some Saanen breeders who swear by some of the AI bucks from the 70s and 80s and are still using them today. On the downside a lot of those early straws are crimped rather than the plugs they use today so they cannot safely be thawed in water.

Shannon
    Poppy Patch Farm

10. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    You can collect quite a few straws-but only have a few that are viable. It depends on the bucks age and if his immune system is weak-I think that can affect the number of straws you get to. I acctually bought semen from 3 different bucks this year-my mom has a tank. Although if things dont work out for jobs around here-we may yhave to sell olut :shrug: . Then i'll have semen that I can't use. But, hopefully I get to try AIing for this coming kidding season.

11. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    You can collect quite a few straws-but only have a few that are viable. It depends on the bucks age and if his immune system is weak-I think that can affect the number of straws you get to. I acctually bought semen from 3 different bucks this year-my mom has a tank. Although if things dont work out for jobs around here-we may yhave to sell olut :shrug: . Then i'll have semen that I can't use. But, hopefully I get to try AIing for this coming kidding season.

12. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I hope to be having my buck done on September 23 with Mega Bucks and they will charge
    $120 for 30 straws and $180 for 50 straws from each buck.

That varies per buck and whether or not you have "perpared" him. But normally you can get alot. I hope to get 50+ straws from my buck.

Superior Semen Works has a great article about how to "prepare" your boys before collection to get the highest quality and quanity from you AI collection. http://superiorsemenworks.com/xcart/pages.php?pageid=8

I am not sure what you mean exactely but I think only one is needed if it is properly insemenated into the cervix. Of course if she returns to heat or tested negative for pregnancy, then you will need to do it again, and possibly again... So it is best to have "backup" straws.

Under proper storage conditions many, many of years. I have also seen semen from bucks dead 10+ years. Viability rate would decrease over the years to some degree though you would think.

Hope this info was of some help. :wink:

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you for all the info - personally I think this is going to be a big fat "NO" because I would not want that many straws floating on an animal that I prepped and took the time to get his offpring in shows.... just doesn't seem right to me to give him enough to breed 30-50 of his does for my hard work.