The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Alpine Addict!
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I've been seriously considering AI, and had a few questions.....

-how much does it cost to have a vet do it?
-does the vet receive it, or do you?
-is it worth it to AI? (I'll have to get a new buck anyway, this is just cheaper)

And I'd also love some help deciding (IF I do it) which buck to get.
I'm looking for:

-excellent animals in background
-lots and lots of width
-excellent feet and legs
-excellent udders
-lots of length and levelness over the topline
-milk production (Dam and Sire's Dam MUST produce at least a gallon a day)
-really smooth, long fore-udders
-dairy character
-body capacity
-preferably a purebred

What do you think of these two bucks? Which one would you choose?

*B Strawberry Fields Stone Cold
http://superiorsemenworks.com/xcart/product.php?productid=638&cat=0&page=4

*B Willow Run Chevalier Ruffian
http://superiorsemenworks.com/xcart/product.php?productid=19&cat=0&page=5

And out of all these bucks, which one would you choose?

http://www.biogenicsltd.com/alpine.html

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It really depends on your vet. I have a vet who is also a friend. He has a nitrogen tank and offered to let me have semen shipped to him and will perform the procedure for me. The most expensive part is the nitrogen tank. They can run anywhere from $300 to a few thousand. Depending on the vet, many don't have a speculum that is goat sized so you would also have to purchase all of the equipment.

I know nothing about dairy bloodlines so I can't help ya there :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It really depends on your vet. I have a vet who is also a friend. He has a nitrogen tank and offered to let me have semen shipped to him and will perform the procedure for me. The most expensive part is the nitrogen tank. They can run anywhere from $300 to a few thousand. Depending on the vet, many don't have a speculum that is goat sized so you would also have to purchase all of the equipment.

I know nothing about dairy bloodlines so I can't help ya there :)
My vet also said that I could use his tank and have semen shipped to his office. He also quoted me $150/doe. I figure that's not too bad if he's storing the semen for me!

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
The biggest expense when you buy the semen is usually shipping. Two years ago it cost $120 for shipping (both ways) when I ordered semen from BioGenics. I would suggest that you not use Superior Semen Works. I bought some from them a couple years ago, but it took over a month for them to ship it to me. I have also heard from others who placed orders through them and never received their semen (they weren't charged for it, but never got it or had an explanation as to why they didn't get it). BioGenics was very quick about shipping the semen and very helpful. You can call them and ask them any question you want about AI and they know the answer.

It is also good to check with breeders in your area, they may have semen available from one of their bucks or from another buck. Also, Nationals is coming up soon and you may be able to get someone who is going to pick up some semen for you.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
There is no telling what a vet would charge. A bigger question is can you find a vet that would even do it. All you can do is call around and ask. As for "is it worth it to AI"? I would say "it can be". It is not near as reliable as a fertile virile buck in rut in with your doe. On the other hand, it does make it possible to do what you are doing. Dreaming about genetic possibilities that are out of reach in live breeding situations. AI would not be considered "cheaper" under most circumstances.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
AI would not be considered "cheaper" under most circumstances.
Here it is significantly more expensive, if you can find someone to do it. i happen to know someone who can, but the cost of semen, shipping, storage, and hormone treatments to get the doe to cycle at the right time for insemination PLUS paying for the actual insemination all add up to quite a bit of money. Like.... I could buy a really nice buck to use for the next several years" kind of money. BUT since it allows breeding to basically any buck that has been collected it can be totally worth the money for the benefit of improved herd genetics.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
It would be better to find a breeder in your area that could do it, AND teach you. Vets charge a lot.
Personally if it were ME, neither of those bucks were doing it for me (from the 3rd link, and the first 2 said "security theft" or something like that)

I like and WOULD use these bucks...

Emperor swell can't miss seth
Ashdowns BMW's falcor
Redwood Hills Prophet Patriot

http://thebuckbank.com/alpines1.htm

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I don't use any hormones most of the time to AI. I use a teaser buck walked through the herd twice a day and keep careful notes. End of September to early November their heats are quite regular and predictable. In my experience.
Not everyone does, especially if they do it themselves and have their own storage equipment or work with someone doing AI who has a bit of flexibility in their schedule. That wouldn't be the case with me, so I would have to use the CIDRs and injections.

·
Alpine Addict!
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Little-Bits-N-Pieces-ADG~Thanks! I like +*B ASHDOWNE BMW's FALCOR, as well as +*B EMPEROR SWELL KAN'T MISS SETH.

That's funny....:scratch: the links were working fine for me.....

Can someone try and find some pics of Ashdown BM Doubleyou *M? It says, "Foreudders are strong and
generally like dam's or better, but how am I supposed to know what her fore-udder looks like if I can't see it? I though that was sorta strange....:ponder:

I love the doe Emperor I'm Just Swell 2*M!!! She is sooooo nice! I just wish I had a rear udder shot. :( But one can't find everything! So I'll be content with this. :D

Who else likes Kan't Miss Seth? Like I said I love his dam (especially her color, LOL!)!!!!

Thank you everyone for your help! I'm going to ask my bet for prices in a bit....:cool:

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
There is one thing though, Seth is not a tall buck, he is very very short, and is lacking in power, but he does excel in mammary genetics . So only use him on your larger does.

Prophet patriot is not a tall buck either...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts