The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on working towards mini nubians. right now I have a registered full nubian doe. only buck I have available to breed her with ( not my buck or on my property) is a unregistered fill ND. So I am thinking using AI for next year and use a F1 mini Nubian to hopefully get more nubian characteristics. But I am honesly clueless with the process. Do all larger animal/farm vets do AI? Can I get the straws shipped directly to the vet? or how does this process work? how much does shipping usually cost?

·
8,171 Posts
I don't know about most vets, but ours does not do AI. Various goat breeders do the AI themselves. Are there any goat clubs near you? Hopefully, someone has more answers for you.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If you want a vet to do it, you’d have to find a knowledge sheep or goat vet that does it, as the procedure is not the same as it is for horses and cows. If your vet does AI, you could almost certainly have it shipped to them, as they almost certainly have a tank to store it in. Not all vets do though, so you’d have to check. Shipping is close to $100, last time I shipped.
I agree, try to find a goat person in your area that does AI. The other option is to look at the collection routes on some of the semen sites, such as Blue Mountain Genetics, and BioGenics. Sometimes they will inseminate does for their clients at a collection stop, so it might be worth asking if you could come by, too. You would have to get their hormone protocol from them and dose your doe accordingly so that she’d be in heat and ready to be AI’d on that day.

·
Fair-Haven
4,728 Posts
Also check into breeding clinics - I know adga puts on a few, as well as others. Not all does are candidates, and the conception rate is around 65%. You have to put in CIDR's, have straws of semen ( they don't sell only one usually) , nitro tank, vet help or others. The cost may be prohibitive with only a doe or two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts