AI?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by RMADairyGoats, Oct 10, 2011.

1. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Hi all, :wave:
    So I was pondering AI some of our does not this kidding season, but the next (2013). Would I have to buy the tank? I'm not interested in breeding for other people, but just to breed my own that one time. I'm thinking I would just need the straws and the stuff to insert the semen. :chin: How do you do this and how much would it cost if I don't have to buy the tank?
    Thanks! :hug:

2. Breezy-Trail

Breezy-Trail Senior Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Sprakers, New York
    I checked into it once before I got goats...Thought it might be cheaper than regular breeds but I was wrong.
    You have to buy the straws (which may be pricey?) then like you said you need the thing insert the semen. I was hoping there was away around not using the liquid nitrogen tanks but it seems there isn't.

Also you dont buy the straws when the does in heat otherwise she might not be when it arrives (not unless there's some place in your state).

Here is a website that sells tanks http://www.sementanks.com/
    It seems like they start out at $350 not to mention you need the LN.

3. I know you can rent the tanks also. Maybe ADGA Nationals will have a AI clinic in 2012 there in CO. I know we will be having one at AGS Nationals but that is here in NJ. You should come! :wink:

4. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Thanks! I want to AI around 4 does to a really nice CH buck. They don't have a website anymore but I looked at it a long time ago and I think it was $75.00 or $100.00 for the straw. Jesse-goats, the folks with the buck live about 3 hours from us, so I don't think that will be an issue. ;) Logan, it would be AWESOME if ADGA Nationals had an AI clinic!!! :leap: I wish I could come to AGS Nationals but it is to far away :( Do you know how much it is to rent a tank? Thanks guys!! :hi5:

5. GoatGirlMO

GoatGirlMO New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Some veterinarians or AI techs will let you rent a goblet in their tank, then you just need a smaller transport tank.

At one of the AI clinics I attended, they had a seminar on maintaining the tank. It seems that the initial purchase wouldn't be SO bad, but maintaining it wouldn't be much fun.

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
  7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    A lot of vets are willing to store semen as well as do the actual AI. There may also be local goat people willing to teach you. I recently got in touch with someone who will teach me for free!

My semen tank was $500, AI it was $170... Much cheaper than buying the buck I wanted when all is said and done. The semen I want is $150 per five straws, so not too bad in my case. AI opens you up to a huge possibility.

You can also find someone in your state going to ADGa Nationals, Conventions, etc that will transport semen for you fairly inexpensively. Live semen shippers are expensive.. $200-$300.

8. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Thanks for the info Merle! :wink: The folks I am getting my LaMancha from do AI and are very nice people, maybe they would teach me! Perhaps mating all those awesome bucks with nice does would be something that could really step-up a breeding program.

9. Iceblink

Iceblink New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    There will be AI classes at the ADGA convention this year, I'm taking it!

I've seen the Ranch Snowfall website, their goats are beautiful. Lucky you for reserving one.

10. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    AWESOME!!!!!!! :leap:
    Thank you so much! :hug: I am so excited to get my LaMancha! But how did you know I was getting a goat from Rancho-Snowfall?

11. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    So I have another question. :? If we AI our bucks (sold the semen from them to other breeders) would the resulting kids carry our herd name (Lost Prairie) or would they carry the buyers herdname? I know that if you stud out your bucks the resulting kids are in your herd name. I have been wondering that for a long time. Thanks! :cool:

12. If you stud out your goat the kids are not in your herd name nor would they be if you sold semen. At least that is how it is with AGS. The herd name goes to whoever owns the dam at the time of breeding.

13. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Oops, I made a typo earlier, I meant the AI KIT was $170.. Not A it. LOL.

Logan is correction, if you AI your does, the offspring will carry your herdname. There is some paperwork that needs to be done with A, so make sure you get papers with your semen. I'm a little foggy on it myself right now.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You have to fill out the paperwork for each sale.... of semen..or AI that is done....and keep your name entitlement on each ...I would call the association to make sure how that goes..... :thumb:

15. Dotty246

Dotty246 New Member

Sep 25, 2011
    In ADGA any kids born always carry the herd name of the person who owned the dam at the time of the breeding. This holds true for live matings and AI breedings. The only time this may be different is when the dam was under lease to another person at the time of the breeding. :thumb:

16. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Thanks guys! It is really something I am interested in! It is cheaper than buying a new buck, that's for sure! :thumb:

17. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Keep in mind that AI doesn't always work well for maiden does, so you might have to have a few first generation Mini Manchas running around.. LOL!

18. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Sorry Amos, I did not see your post till now. :roll: I love Mini LaManchas, that's just fine with me! :laugh:

19. mliga

mliga New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Kingwood, WV
    Which would be better a Continental Goat Gun or the French Goat Gun....what is the difference?

Michelle in WV

20. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    I use the french gun and like it very much. I AI'ed my friends does using it and 3 out of 3 took. But I am sure both work. :thumb: