The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well the cheapest new tank you can get is a little less than $400. An AI kit is $160 from BIO-Genics. Which is a very nice kit that I personally recommend. And then the cost of filling the tank with nitrogen and semen. Then if you have to ship the semen from a company you have to pay for the shipping of their dry shipper which averages $120 each way.

·
Registered
100 Posts
SkyesRanch said:
I use the french gun and like it very much. I AI'ed my friends does using it and 3 out of 3 took. But I am sure both work. :thumb:
So on the Bio-Genics website which one would be the French Goat Gun?

Thanks!
Michelle

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have the BIO-Hi-bred kit with the digital thawing unit. It comes with the french style gun.

No problem Lost Prairie! Any questions you have, feel free to ask! :greengrin:

·
Registered
72 Posts
For lack of bucks on this side of the country we have to AI our arapawas.

Semen tank was $300 (holds 1200 straws and was used)
around $30 every 3 months for the the tank to be refilled and maintenance. (it only really needs to be filled every 6 months but the semen is rare and therefore we aren't taking any chances)
$70 for AI but we have to do a different kind that is more expensive and I have seen other vets do regular AI techniques for $30

Once the tank is out of the way it seems quite affordable to me and you could easily spend $300 on a buck (food vet bills etc) in a year not to mention buying the buck

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks SweetSaanens ;-) You are so right, it sure cost less than buying a new buck. A nice buck goes for at least $500.00 and up, and of couse shipping and care. It is something I would really like to do. It is hard to insert the semen into the doe? Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
694 Posts
All I can tell you is the technique is easy, easy, easy, EASY. It is the timing that is almost more crucial than the technique. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well that's good to know! :leap: Thanks! I always thought it was hard. Most of our does are really easy to tell when they are in heat, so hopefully that will not be an issue ;) :thumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
SkyesRanch said:
I have the BIO-Hi-bred kit with the digital thawing unit. It comes with the french style gun.

I ordered it today. Now I am trying to find Ober semen nearby, before I resort to purchasing online.

Michelle in WV

·
Registered
694 Posts
AWESOME! Congrats Mliga!!!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have the Continental gun; after seeing the French, that is what I would go with. The inner 'pipe' (if you will) is too long so it's hard to determine how far you're pushing it in when inside the cervix.

Destree is right.. Actual procedure is simple, but timing can be a hassle. You might need to buy CIDRs to catch the doe in heat and ave a successful insemination.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have my french gun marked so I have it down to a science. I know exactly how far I am in. :wink:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Amos said:
I have the Continental gun; after seeing the French, that is what I would go with. The inner 'pipe' (if you will) is too long so it's hard to determine how far you're pushing it in when inside the cervix.

Destree is right.. Actual procedure is simple, but timing can be a hassle. You might need to buy CIDRs to catch the doe in heat and ave a successful insemination.
OK, I'm going to sound dumb here..but what is CIDR's?

·
Registered
694 Posts
CIDR stands for Controlled Internal Drug Release. It is a plastic thing that stores progesterone, which lets you contol your does' heat cycle. You incert it into her vagina and it slowly releases the progesterone, making the the doe's body think it is pregnant. You leave it in place for 17ish days, then pull it out. When the hormone is gone, the doe will come into heat within 24-48 hours. It is basically designed to sync the heats. It is nice to have for AI because you know when she is going to come into season.

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So I heard from a really big breeder that does a lot of AI on their standard goats and they said that Nigerians almost never settle under AI. Is this true? :whatgoat: :whatgoat: :whatgoat:

·
Registered
694 Posts
No it isn't true, Nigerian have the same success rate as a standard dairy goat. The person probably didn't know how to do the smaller girls. It is just a smaller space. :wink:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Anytime! :greengrin:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts