AI?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by RMADairyGoats, Oct 10, 2011.

1. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    So how much do you think it would be in all (tank, equipment, ect.)?

2. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Well the cheapest new tank you can get is a little less than $400. An AI kit is $160 from BIO-Genics. Which is a very nice kit that I personally recommend. And then the cost of filling the tank with nitrogen and semen. Then if you have to ship the semen from a company you have to pay for the shipping of their dry shipper which averages $120 each way.

3. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Thanks SkyesRanch :) :thumb:

4. mliga

mliga New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Kingwood, WV
    So on the Bio-Genics website which one would be the French Goat Gun?

Thanks!
    Michelle

5. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    I have the BIO-Hi-bred kit with the digital thawing unit. It comes with the french style gun.

No problem Lost Prairie! Any questions you have, feel free to ask! :greengrin:

6. SweetSaanens

SweetSaanens New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    For lack of bucks on this side of the country we have to AI our arapawas.

Semen tank was $300 (holds 1200 straws and was used)
    around $30 every 3 months for the the tank to be refilled and maintenance. (it only really needs to be filled every 6 months but the semen is rare and therefore we aren't taking any chances)
    $70 for AI but we have to do a different kind that is more expensive and I have seen other vets do regular AI techniques for $30

Once the tank is out of the way it seems quite affordable to me and you could easily spend $300 on a buck (food vet bills etc) in a year not to mention buying the buck

7. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Thanks SweetSaanens ;-) You are so right, it sure cost less than buying a new buck. A nice buck goes for at least $500.00 and up, and of couse shipping and care. It is something I would really like to do. It is hard to insert the semen into the doe? Sorry for all the questions!

8. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    All I can tell you is the technique is easy, easy, easy, EASY. It is the timing that is almost more crucial than the technique. :thumb:

9. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Well that's good to know! :leap: Thanks! I always thought it was hard. Most of our does are really easy to tell when they are in heat, so hopefully that will not be an issue ;) :thumb:

10. mliga

mliga New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Kingwood, WV

11. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    AWESOME! Congrats Mliga!!!

12. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have the Continental gun; after seeing the French, that is what I would go with. The inner 'pipe' (if you will) is too long so it's hard to determine how far you're pushing it in when inside the cervix.

Destree is right.. Actual procedure is simple, but timing can be a hassle. You might need to buy CIDRs to catch the doe in heat and ave a successful insemination.

13. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    I have my french gun marked so I have it down to a science. I know exactly how far I am in. :wink:

14. mliga

mliga New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Kingwood, WV
    OK, I'm going to sound dumb here..but what is CIDR's?

15. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    CIDR stands for Controlled Internal Drug Release. It is a plastic thing that stores progesterone, which lets you contol your does' heat cycle. You incert it into her vagina and it slowly releases the progesterone, making the the doe's body think it is pregnant. You leave it in place for 17ish days, then pull it out. When the hormone is gone, the doe will come into heat within 24-48 hours. It is basically designed to sync the heats. It is nice to have for AI because you know when she is going to come into season.

16. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    So I heard from a really big breeder that does a lot of AI on their standard goats and they said that Nigerians almost never settle under AI. Is this true? :whatgoat: :whatgoat: :whatgoat:

17. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    No it isn't true, Nigerian have the same success rate as a standard dairy goat. The person probably didn't know how to do the smaller girls. It is just a smaller space. :wink:

18. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Thanks for all the help SkyesRanch! :hug:

19. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Anytime! :greengrin: