Airplane Eared Kids?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by fruittartcaprines, Mar 6, 2010.

1. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Mama is definitely all Alpine - she's totally classic (though unpapered/unregistered). No one knows who papa is - the gal I got her from had several bucks on her property all running with the does.

I just saw some pictures of some pure Alpine babies about the same age as mine, and their ears are standing nice and tall.

My little ones have...bunny ears. They kind of stand out to the side, and flop at the ends. There's always one that is more floppy than the other.

They are adorable, but do you think this means they are part nubian? What other goat has floppy ears? Or is there something wrong with my poor deformed airplane-eared kids? (I'm just teasing, I adore them no matter what their ears look like - and I was always partial to nubians anyway).

An example of the floppy ears (they both look like this)
    [​IMG]

Treva Brodt and cristina-sorina like this.
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah probably part nubian

Treva Brodt likes this.

3. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    We found out in this area airplane eared kids sale fast. People love the look. Another reason we are going Kinder.
    LOL they do look like bunnies. Too cute!!

Ashlynn and Treva Brodt like this.
  4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Airplane ears are very cool!

Jan
    (kinders are what I have)

Treva Brodt likes this.
  5. fruittartcaprines

Mar 3, 2010
    Thanks guys! They are so stinking cute - but of course I think everyone must think that about their kids :)

6. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    My Alpine/Nubian has airplane ears :]

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

yup probably some nubian in there somewhere. I love airplane ears.
    beth

8. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Yep.... I agree. She looks very Nubian. So Im pretty sure shes Alpine/Nubian. Cute doeling. :)

9. fruittartcaprines

Mar 3, 2010
    Thank you! I think they are really stinking cute, but of course I'm biased because they are mine! Wonder if the lady had a nubian buck...she must have, but I didn't see him when I was there. Oh well, that should mean yummy, plentiful milk I hope!

10. KGW Farms

KGW Farms New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Scales mound, IL
    Whatever she is....she is adorable!

11. Wayne

Wayne New Member

Mar 14, 2017
  12. Wayne

Wayne New Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Hi Kindly let me know which breed each of the following goats belong to. It would be of great help

Attached Files:

13. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    I'm guessing they are mixes. I like their ears!

14. Lisalisa89

Lisalisa89 New Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Tennessee
    I almost bought a saanan nubian cross who was bred to an alpine and that is what her babies looked like.

15. SolidRockFarmTX

SolidRockFarmTX Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Knox City, TX
  16. Treva Brodt

Treva Brodt Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2019
    West Union, Ohio
    You certainly have my attention. My husband was the first one with goat fever. We inherited a couple of orphaned Pygmy goats which I successfully bottle fed and it was game on. Hubs bought two miniature does from a breeder he knew and assumed they were also Pygmy. Getting to the airplane ears. One of the does had been bred when we got her. I'm not sure if he has interbred Nigi's and Pygmys because the doe is very small and delicate. Father unknown. She had two large kids and I had to pull the first one. They are adorable twin doelings but I don't think they are Pygmy goats. Their eyes are turning blue and they have airplane ears like the kid in your picture but no Roman nose. I showed their newborn pictures to my vet and he thought they looked like part Nubian. How irresponsible is that to allow a Nubian buck breed with such a tiny doe? Her rectum prolapsed about 2 weeks prior to kidding. The vet had me start managing her feed by giving 4 small meals per day and limit hay to handfuls at one time to help cut down on the bulk in her rumen and help keep the kids birth weight down. I don't have an exact weight on her but she is about 30 pounds and 20". The kids are hardy and doing well. They were nibbling hay and ground feed by the time they were a week old. Here's their picture playing hide and seek in the homemade hay feeder. What do you seasoned professionals think? Other than cute, of course. I just wanted to sell miniature goats for pets but if it turns out that I have some decent milk producers I might start making soap to sell.

IMG_1717.JPG

17. spidy1

spidy1 Well-Known Member

Alpine Nubian or Alpine Boer this is a pic of a Alpine Boer I had years ago...mom was a commercial Boer dad was PB Alpine... unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (2).jpg 00101_khezXpYlw3s_600x450.jpg 00z0z_28mi8zfGLDt_600x450.jpg

Treva Brodt likes this.
  18. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Oh my goodness, have I ever got airplane ears!
    Cuzco started it all with his huge, parachute ears. He always looked like he was trying to flap his ears and fly when he would run.
    Cuzco_Baby.jpg

In our herd we've got the classic "airplane" look, whooshing out to the side:
    Pet_Airplane.jpg 5:6:18.18.jpg 12:25:14_Sput.4.jpg

Then we've got the Fox Terrier variety that perks up and folds down:
    Finn.Day2_Kitchen.jpg Finn_6:14:14.8.jpg

And finally we've got the adorable half-way ears that stick out with a crinkle in the middle:
    11:8:17.11.jpg 11:8:17.1.jpg

19. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Impossible not to break out in a huge smile every time you go outside, I'll bet.

wifeof1 and Treva Brodt like this.
  20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California