Alaska in the winter. video

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by AlaskaBoers, Mar 3, 2011.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    The area that I live in... very windy, 50-85mpg wind storms, we get them 5-6 times each winter.

heres a video i found, this is Palmer and Wasilla area in Dec-Jan 10-11
    These places are near my house, and evn shows the school I go to :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNCjsMaeX94&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

it's 8 minutes, but i encourage u to watch the whole thing, seems worse in real life for sure!! we're in the middle of a week long windy streak now.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Oh my goodness, beautiful but brutal.

3. Bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! It's windy here too. I don't know about 80mph, but we get sustained winds of 30-40 all the time. Good thing it's in the summer! We get some good gusts, but like that maybe once every few years!

Stay safe and warm! SHEESH!

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yup
    air temp is usually 10-25 during the storms.. still -11 or something with windchill
    though! BleatingHearts is in Fairbanks, I heard it was -26 up there this morning...air temp!!

5. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

Ohhh now I miss it again. I lived in Eagle River Alaska for 8 years before we moved to Idaho. It is the most beautiful area I have ever seen. It can be brutal at times but so worth it. I still have a bunch of Shane Lamb prints hanging in my house, to remind us of our time there. I have to say though that raising goats there would be a whole different challenge than what I deal with here. We didn't get them til 9 months ago. Thanks for sharing

6. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    We had two wicked wind storms last week. We got several inches of snow before and during them. The Iron Dog snow machine race from None to Fairbanks was held held up in None cuz of "life threateningly conditions". I hear the Iditarod is going to be really hard this year with bad trails and overflow.
    I'm excited to watch that video but I'm on my phone. Will watch it at work on my break! I think I would take the cold over wind. :)

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow.... that is amazingly beautiful... :love: but so cold... :shocked: ..thanks for sharing Katrina... :thumb: :hi5:

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    BEAUTIFUL. But no way could I survive those temps, I am such a baby when it comes to cold temps! We typically don't see temps colder than upper single digits, and the only time we dip below 0 is wind chill, and it isn't very often - al though this winter was really really cold!

I don't like wind, and I don't like cold....so thankfully we don't normally see both at the same time! But with scenery like that......wow....I LOVE the mountains....and I'd love to venture and see all the wildlife!

9. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Thanks for sharing the video !! When they talk about "God's country " I know they had Alaska in mind. Ha I think it's cold when it gets to 20. Stay warm!!

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    the wind stopped!!! YAY

whew, almost 2 weeks of 75mph winds. whew!
    now it's just a constant breeze. :doh: 2 months until spring!!

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad the wind stopped.... it makes it so cold ...when it blows.... :hug: