Alaska State Fair

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by AlaskaBoers, Aug 30, 2009.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    had the first two of Four shows at the Ak state Fair 2009.
    there was only a handful of boers there, me bringing the most (4)

Calypso was 1st place yearling
    Star was 1st place 2-5 mo
    Zenith was 2nd place 2-5mo (though she REALLY should have been first)
    Katie was 1st place senior doe
    Katie also took Best of Breed
    Katie then moved onto Overall Best Doe in Show, but lost to a ND

I didnt agree with alot of the judging and some of the technical stuff, but who can complain with results like these, and who really wants to hear what went wrong?...try to stay positive. I'm a very patient person, but lets just say at the end of the show I was not being very patient!! LOL

all thats left is the 4-H showmanship and conformation at the end of next week. Then Calypso and Katie leave to get bred. the buck i'm using throws alot of bucks so I'm gonna try the ACV in their water, like that old wives tales...anyone ever try it??

2. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:
    Katrina that is fantastic results!!! :wahoo: I'm so glad that you did well at the State Fair!
    It sounds like your breeding program is doing so well and I hope that you can continue to get more folks involved in raising Boers in Alaska. Maybe with your wonderful showing at the Fair you can get more folks involved and bring in more Boers to your great state and increase and improve the genetics of the breed. keep up the Superior Efforts! :leap:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Alright ... :thumbup: way to go Katrina~!!!! congrats.... that is excellent.. :leap: :leap: :leap: :leap: :leap: :leap: :leap: :leap: :leap: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

4. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Hey Pam, maybe with some of that premium money she won we can persuade her to have some more Boers shipped up to Alaska? Sound like they are becoming a valuable commodity up there! :clap:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah my premium should be good :greengrin:
    thanks!!!
    I will have enough from PFD's (permanent fund dividend sp?) to get a doeling and buckling up here hopefully.

6. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    You had mentioned before how it was hard to ship them overland thru Canada because of health restrictions. Is there such problems if you ship them via the Seattle-Alaska ferry route? If there isn't then I know some folks in Washington State that would love to sell you some beautiful show stock and I'm sure Pam would like the opportunity to have you view her goats and possibly consider them for your growing herd! :wink: LOL ! Lemme know and I can send you some contact info!

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i've actually visited pams herd in person, very impressed and I'm planning on buying a buck and doe from her to air-ship up here...i know someone who brought sheep on the ferry but havent looked into pricing. Maybe I'll ask next time I see her.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :greengrin: :thumbup:

thanks Katrina... :hug: I know ...you have waited for so long................ :doh: ....good things... come to those who wait...right.... :wink: :)
    Tuesday Sept 1, 2009 ...we will begin breeding.... :thumbup: :hi5:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    awesome :thumb: cant wait!!

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Either can I...Katrina ...LOL :D :thumbup:

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    do you know which does are going to each buck yet?

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow! Katrina WONDERFUL JOB!! CONGRATULATIONS :leap:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yeppers I do..... :wink:
    You can see them on my site:

Rossi gets:
    Lilly
    Alyssa
    Arianna
    Nicole
    Marissa
    grace

Hurricane gets:
    Bangals
    Cheyenne
    Violet
    Faith
    Kayla
    Gabby

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow, I bet that Lilly and Rossi will make a great match. love those two. Also Nicole is an eye catcher.
    Hurricane and Cheyenne will probably have some flashy, thick ones too!! :greengrin:

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hoping for you....the very best Katrina......we will see for sure... by 3 months old....
    I can't wait... til we ...can send them your way... and can't wait... for you to start showing them..... :thumbup: :hi5: Your goats did great ...at the Alaska State Fair and I am curious of how....you will do ....with your future goaties.... :thumbup:

16. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    who was the judge??

17. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow, dont remember his name, I'm pretty sure he's from WA, he had a speech impediment. he wasnt a goat judge, he just judges livestock.

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i had two friends up there judging something.. cant remember for the life of me

19. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's WONDERFUL!

20. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Nice winnings ...you should be proud !! With regard to ACV (apple cider vinegar) I have never used it with livestock but do use in in the chickens water 2 tbs per gallon and it makes the feathers very shinny and helps them absorb nutrients from their feed better. Would be interested to see if anyone has used it with goats