albon dosage for kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jannerbanner, May 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. jannerbanner

jannerbanner janice

Mar 31, 2014
    S. Oregon
    I have a month old buckling with cocci and the only med I could get was albon 5% from the vet. He said to dose the kid at the dog and cat dosage of 10cc per 20lbs first day and 5cc per 20lbs for 4 more days..He said the rumen is not developed enough to destroy the active ingredients like and adult goats will. I am wondering if this is enough albon? Any advice would be appreciated,
    janice

2. jannerbanner

jannerbanner janice

Mar 31, 2014
    S. Oregon
    I am really concerned about this dosage...my vet is...not...a....goat..vet:roll:
    Please help,
    janice

3. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    I wish I could help you :/ . Fiasco farm has a section on using albon, but it's for the 12.5%.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Not sure on albon dose. Try doing a search on here.

5. CritterCarnival

CritterCarnival Yes Dear Goat Farm

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    2 1/2 cc of Albon 5% is the same as 1 cc of Di-Methox or Sulmet 12.5%, they are all Sulfadimethoxine, just at different strengths.

6. jannerbanner

jannerbanner janice

Mar 31, 2014
    S. Oregon
    Well this dosage does agree with the vet and the buckling's poo is back to normal after 2 days...so..knock on wood, I think it worked. The Di-Methox is a heck-of-a lot cheaper than Albon, but tastes awful, apparently. I gave the powder mixed up to a doe and she acted like I was killing her because of the taste. This buckling loves the Albon and sucks on the drencher....but the cost is so high for the albon that from now on I will just have a gallon of di-methox on hand and maybe mix it with snow cone syrup.

My vet said that I do not need to give thiamin injections with the di-methox or albon unless I was using it for a couple of weeks...I would like some more experienced advice as to if and when and how much thiamine to give with these meds to an adult and a kid.
    Thank you all so much,
    janice

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

There is no need to give thiamine with those drugs. Glad he is doing better.

8. jannerbanner

jannerbanner janice

Mar 31, 2014
    S. Oregon
    I didn't think so, but then the vet and one of my best mentors said to give thiamin with sulpha drugs...I hate giving injections, but at least I knew that the excess thiamin would just be peed out if I gave too much. My vet said 1/4cc IM 200mg for an adult and two mentors said 5cc SQ! Huge difference. I gave 1 1/2cc IM third day and 3 1/2cc SQ 5th day to the adult and 1/4 that amount to kid and it probably did nothing except give me more experience giving injections and made my goats think I was plenty mean:greengrin: