The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a older doe who is butting at walls stall gates etc.She had done this when there were other goats on opposite side but now she is doing it when she is in barn by herself. She is not locked in she can come or go so its not a that she is lonely. Help!:shrug:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have a little 2 year old who does that. She just likes to knock things over or push them around. Straw bales, feeders, open gates that she decides should be shut, or shut ones she decides should be open. This morning she decided my DR Trimmer mower should be on it's side and was happily butting the daylights out of it trying to flip it over.
It's probably just a phase, maybe related to the season change we're in right now. I am getting lots more arguments and fights in preparation for heats. Happens every fall with quite a few bloody heads.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
So she is in with other goats? Have you tried showing her that there are no goats on the other side of the wall? Maybe she's thinking there are goats there.

I would see that as her being either frustrated or trying to show dominance.

Does she have toys available to climb on and play with?

Also, I would spread out the feeding "stations" outside so she can kind of keep occupied browsing. Maybe chop up some apples or treats and hide them around in her pen. That might help get her mind off of the butting.

·
14,615 Posts
A couple of mine do this too. I totally get it if there's a doe on the other side.
Sometimes methinks they just like the sound of what they're doing.:hammer:
But yeah, does she have any toys?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts