Alfafa cubes?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Epona142, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    The feed store was out of hay, so I picked up Alfafa cubes. They didn't have pellets, so this was the best I could get until they get their hay truck in.

The brats mostly ignored it, and screamed at me until they figured I was gone, and then had a go at the cubes.

I did my best to break them up so they could chew them up better, but any other tips for feeding these? I figured alfafa cubes would be better than grain, as I prefer to grain as little as possible; they are usually on free choice hay with grain once in a while.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I fed mine broken up alfalfa cubes for years before I was able to get the pellets. They are layered so it's easy to twist them apart or even use a hammer to smash them apart...the cubes themselves are way too big for a goat to manage, flaking them is easier for them to eat...andthey are less likely to choke.

3. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I'll definitely keep that in mind, didn't even think of using a hammer. :doh:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Great advice Liz... :thumbup:

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    I soaked mine in hot/warm water.. kind of like beet pulp.. my does liked it

6. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I like them in cubes... keeps them busy so less blahhhh

7. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    So if you feed cubes do you offer any hay? Do you offer free choice or a amount per goat?

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine still got hay the broken cubes were given just as if they were pelleted...a cup or 2 for each goat....in the smashed form.

9. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Mine normally get free choice hay, but the silly feed store was out and the hay truck is not due for a couple of days.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    And I am positive that they are letting you know just how unhappy they are about that too :wink:

11. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh yes, if they see me or even hear me...

"MWAAAAAA! MWAAAA!"

Translation: "We're dieing of starvation! Help us!"

:roll:

12. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Lol my goats are giving me that right now! Only it's "why is there's so much frozen white stuff!? Make it go away so we can go back outside and play! Excuse me? Come outside? Nuh uh!! You may deliver my food in here" hehehe spoiled lil butts. Oh and I so took their food in there.

I had to feed cubes once because the guy I use to buy hay from didn't show up then later reschedules twice in a row followed by a 3rd and finally blow off. So, while I waited for someone else to get out - mind you when I made the first appointment I had a week's worth of hay, byt the 3rd cancel I was OUT - So, I went to the feed store to get hay cubes to tie me over. I soaked them in water too and my horses and goats tolerated it.

13. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I may soak mine in hot water, they'll like that I imagine.

Or hate it...no telling with them.

14. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yep. You can use a hammer to break the cubes. Takes a bit of time though. I always buy the pellets though. I got tired of wasted hay, and the soaring price and inconsistancy of it. Now I am so happy that I switched. Only, they finish faster, and have more time to bawl at me. But at least I know they are getting enough quality hay to eat, and I don't have to worry about mold too much anymore. Cheaper than a bail of hay too.