The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Alfalfa cubes are just pressed "blocks" of alfalfa. They will do the same thing alfalfa would do. However....some goats will NOT eat the cubes...at all. In my herd, I have some that absolutely LOVE the cubes and will actually sort them out of the feed mix to eat them first. But, I also have some that won't touch the things. LOL If you get the cubes, you will most likely have to spend time breaking the darn things apart, which is neither easy nor fun. You can find them at most feed stores where you can buy alfalfa pellets. The only reason I ever tried them was because my feed store was totally out of pellets.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
LOL Hmmm...don't know which is cheaper. I would think in the long run pellets would be cheaper because you aren't spending time breaking them apart and most goats WILL eat them so less waste. How many pounds a day? No clue. Any better than hay? Well, not really. But with the cost of hay and how hard it is to come by near me, they are just a better alternative for me. Not much help, am I?;-)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL Hmmm...don't know which is cheaper. I would think in the long run pellets would be cheaper because you aren't spending time breaking them apart and most goats WILL eat them so less waste. How many pounds a day? No clue. Any better than hay? Well, not really. But with the cost of hay and how hard it is to come by near me, they are just a better alternative for me. Not much help, am I?;-)
Yes u are alot of help! :). I just dont know if they would be better for thier health or not? We are short on hay but I can feed them "some" I just dont think they are getting every tjing they need from the grass hay?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes u are alot of help! :). I just dont know if they would be better for thier health or not? We are short on hay but I can feed them "some" I just dont think they are getting every thing they need from the grass hay?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
What size and what kind of goats are you feeding? My nigi's might get a handful a day from the grain mix. The pg full size does get a little more because they get a little more grain mix. My grain mix is 300 pounds cracked corn (changed to roasted soybean halves this last time to see if we like it better); 300 pounds oats; 300 pounds alfalfa pellets; 100 pounds BOSS with enough molasses to bind it together. We feed (and this is a guess) about 4 cups a day to our full size pg does; about 1 cup a day to our nigi's and about 3 cups to the others. That is a guess because the nigi's and others are all together and just get a bucket dumped so some pigs get more than others.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
I feed mine the cubes... I flake them apart and will fill a 2 gallon bucket with the pieces, I give approximately a quart for each goat to supplement the grass hay they get.

The pellets are nicer because they're easy to feed but I like the loger fibers in the cubes as opposed to the pressed hay dust of the pellets.
Around here, a 40lb sack of Alfalfa/Timothy cubes runs $14... a 40lb sack of pellets is a buck more

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.