Alfalfa for Bucks

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Dec 11, 2010.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I feel like I should know this but am confused on it. . . Is it okay for bucks to have alfalfa on a daily basis? My buck is in love with alfalfa (turns his nose up at gorgeous 3rd cutting orchard mix for 1st cutting alfalfa) but I feel like he shouldn't be eating that much -- is that right?

2. dtincoelemari

dtincoelemari New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Arizona
    I wish I knew more about this but from what I understand, bucks fed only alfalfa should also be fed grain to keep his diet more balanced with Calcium and Phosphorus and/or fed ammonium chloride to help keep him from having urinary calci issues. I hope somebody who knows a little more can be of more help :doh:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have heard that they shouldn't have very much of it due to an increased chance urinary calci issues. However, my bucks are on it almost exclusively year round and we have yet to have a problem with it. If you have grass then offer that, and provide some alfalfa at every feeding.

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I have a hard time getting anything but alfalfa. I put a preventive dose of ammonium chloride in their water. I started this when I thought one of my wethers might be getting urinary calculi, and his troubles cleared up and did not return. The rest of them all seem to be fine. All of my wethers who were born here were banded really young, I gather that makes the risk higher. But except for that one experience, which was corrected with the ammonium chloride, they have all been okay. We do use it religiously now. The oldest of them is almost three, I don't keep them forever, so I don't know what a long life might bring. I give them very little grain. Some of them get none.

Jan

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My boys get alfalfa hay too..they also get grain and freechoice minerals with AC. Always fresh water...haven't had an issue yet and Hank is almost 7 years old.
    dtincoelemari is right about the alfalfa/grain...the grain balances the ratio to help keep UC from happening.

6. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Where do you get the ammonium chloride that can be added to water?

I just got my first wether and have the powdered form which I'm sprinkling over his dry feed (tim pellets, goat chow and BOSS). He also has free access to alfalfa and gets fresh browse almost daily. The ammonium chloride I got is supposed to be added to loose mineral (approx 1 ounce/lb) but I haven't seen my boy taking in any so that's why I started sprinkling it over his feed, too, very sparingly. Is this okay? Anyone know?

Deb Mc

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, you can sprinkle a oinch over his feed....and you can also add the same AC powder to the water bucket, Guess I'm lucky cause my boys LOVE their minerals.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do exactly as Liz...I too feed Alfalfa to my bucks daily and they never have an issue I make sure they get AC when feeding it.... :wink: :thumb:

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    never had a problem with alfalfa..

10. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks for the info!

Deb Mc