The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ordering some herbs for mountain rose herbs i was wondering does any one give their pregnant does dries alfalfa that isn't in hay form i found this and i was wondering would it be okay to put a pinch on her for a few days before kidding and a few weeks after kidding to give her some extra calcium and help with milk production ? or since it's not in hay form it wouldn't help with milk production and give her a boost of extra calcium, i'm just starting to use herbs to help my goats stay healthy so i have no idea. please give me some advice https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-846..._Leaf_OG_2019-01-29__13524.1588102444.jpg?c=1

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,633 Posts
I wouldn't imagine feeding just a small amount would do very much. Alfalfa however is very good for pregnant does. Alfalfa provides a lot of calcium that is hard to get in their diet otherwise. Pellets are probably a lot cheaper than buying it marketed as herbs too. 😉

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'd be better off feeding alfalfa pellets.
That’s what I thought, how much would you give a Nigerian dwarf? Do you give them more the more kids they have?
I wouldn't imagine feeding just a small amount would do very much. Alfalfa however is very good for pregnant does. Alfalfa provides a lot of calcium that is hard to get in their diet otherwise. Pellets are probably a lot cheaper than buying it marketed as herbs too. 😉
how much pellets should I give her ? Should give although out the pregnancy or just the last month? Also do you have any input on tums to give them extra calcium or any other plant, herb, pill for extra calcium

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,633 Posts
Alfalfa can cover all the calcium needs and you can feed them throughout the pregnancy, but as ksalvagno said, we don't know the rest of the diet so it's hard to say exactly how much. Increasing the amount you feed toward the end of her pregnancy is often a good idea. Their bodies need more closer to the time they kid.

Some people recommend giving calcium gummies daily toward the end of their pregnancy or giving CMPK or a calcium drench. I mixed CMPK gel into one of my does grain daily for a few days before she kidded and she seemed to have stronger contractions than the doe I didn't do that for. Next time I'll probably try the gummies because the CMPK gel has propylene glycol in it which apparently doesn't taste good to them.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,852 Posts
We feed our does alfalfa all year long. They get alfalfa hay and pellets, but we raise dairy goats for production and milk them. Depending on your goals and the other feed you give, you may not need it.

The alfalfa herb on there is literally the dried leaves off alfalfa, which alfalfa hay is full of and would be more cost-effective.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alfalfa can cover all the calcium needs and you can feed them throughout the pregnancy, but as ksalvagno said, we don't know the rest of the diet so it's hard to say exactly how much. Increasing the amount you feed toward the end of her pregnancy is often a good idea. Their bodies need more closer to the time they kid.

Some people recommend giving calcium gummies daily toward the end of their pregnancy or giving CMPK or a calcium drench. I mixed CMPK gel into one of my does grain daily for a few days before she kidded and she seemed to have stronger contractions than the doe I didn't do that for. Next time I'll probably try the gummies because the CMPK gel has propylene glycol in it which apparently doesn't taste good to them.
What brand of calcium gummies do you recommend? I’m trying to look for options besides alfalfa pellets, also tractor supplies has alfalfa pellets for horses would that work? Or do I need to get som specifically for goats

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,633 Posts
What brand of calcium gummies do you recommend? I’m trying to look for options besides alfalfa pellets, also tractor supplies has alfalfa pellets for horses would that work? Or do I need to get som specifically for goats
Any type of alfalfa pellets will work, labeled for horses or not. I give mine the Dumor Alfalfa pellets from tractor supply. The Standlee ones are way more pricey, but they do have higher protein and my goats seem to like the taste of them a bit more.

I have not used calcium gummies for my goats yet, but I know @GoofyGoat and @Sfgwife use them, maybe they can chime in on brand. I don't believe it really matters which though.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I use whatever calcium gummies I can find at the grocery or pharmacy. Walmart, Sams Club or Costco also carry them and I grab them there when I’m there. I tried the pricey ones from GNC but the does didn’t like them as much., since they all have the same nutritional value I was glad for that 😉

as for alfalfa pellets, I use champions choice from Atwood or the ones that Russell’s feed sells. I used standee for a long time but with 29 goats eating them I switched.

I hope this helps a little 😊

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts

Just calcium gummies. No specific brand. I give my does 2-3 when i am done milking as their treat for being good on the stand. If i am not milking no gummies. There are no specific goat brand AP. Mine wont touch the stanlee ones. We use southern states and i think it is alfalfa direct maybe... not sure... just the green a d white bag lol! I also give vit c gummies for after milking treats too... 2-3. I only do the gummies once a day each. So if i milk twice a day one time they get calcium a d the other vit c. Two of my does are pretty heavy milkers and i do give them calcium both times a day but only four total in a day. If that makes sense. Mine also get alfalfa hay morning and night. One of my does this makes a huge difference in how much milk i get vs feeding her AP. The hay works better for her.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use whatever calcium gummies I can find at the grocery or pharmacy. Walmart, Sams Club or Costco also carry them and I grab them there when I’m there. I tried the pricey ones from GNC but the does didn’t like them as much., since they all have the same nutritional value I was glad for that 😉

as for alfalfa pellets, I use champions choice from Atwood or the ones that Russell’s feed sells. I used standee for a long time but with 29 goats eating them I switched.

I hope this helps a little 😊
Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts