The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 2 acres of fescue, weeds and brush for my goats, but I have been supplementing with an alfalfa hay mix since I have a milker (at most I will have 2 milkers). I have been thinking of planting some alfalfa among the fescue. There is a seed developed by UGA that is supposed to do well in my area.

My question, though, is this a good idea or would it be too much alfalfa? I have read it can interfere with their selenium/copper uptake so I don’t want to throw them off too much. Any thought on this?

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
If you are fine with feeding alfalfa hay, I'd leave it out of the field. It is my understanding that alfalfa is harder to establish anyway. You definitely have more control feeding it in hay or pellet form.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are fine with feeding alfalfa hay, I'd leave it out of the field. It is my understanding that alfalfa is harder to establish anyway. You definitely have more control feeding it in hay or pellet form.
I don't mind feeding the hay, I'm just looking at potential supply issues down the road...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts