The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Born Again Goat Fetishist!
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, everyone. :wave:

BuddysDad and I will be going to the Farmer's Co-Op today, and we plan on stocking Buddy up on what he's going to need.

When his cousin brought Buddy to us, he told us NOT to feed him alfalfa. He said the reason for this, was because it would "block up" his urinary tract. But, my brother-in-law feeds his 4 Pygmies alfalfa, and he said that it's not problem. So, what do we do for Buddy? IS alfalfa okay to feed him or, is it not okay?

Buddy, as you know, is a 3 month old Nigerian Dwarf. The last few days, he's been taking my finger into his mouth, and sucking on it. I can't help but think he's wanting the salt from my skin. Kind of like a dog, you know? We plan on buying him a salt/mineral block so, I'm hoping that will end that.

Is there anything else that we should be looking for?

Thank you all in advance, and have a great day! :)

~BuddysMom

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
First, get a good LOOSE goat mineral. They can't lick enough mineral from the block.

Yes, it is fine to get alfalfa pellets. But do a search and read up on feeding wethers. There are several good threads on it.

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't a wether a neutered male? I'm asking, because Buddy is intact. He has all of his boy parts, lol.

A loose mineral, as opposed to the block. Got it. :)

Edited To Add: Yes, I know. First goat, only goat, intact male with horns. I have indeed read up on all that we're in for. :lol:

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, perfect... thank you so much, ksalvagno! :)

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
It's allllll about the Calcium and Phosphorous ratio (2:1)

I personally like to feed my bucks alfalfa as a small portion of their diet. It has very high calcium so that cannot be their only food but it can certainly be a portion. Like Karen said - TONS of threads on feeding wethers and calcium phosphorous ratios so read up!

Loose Mineral: offer it free choice (all he wants), it is the consistency of sand, you can get him Manna Pro Goat mineral in an orange bag, Sweetlix MeatMaker in a blue/gray bag, or any loose cattle mineral with copper above 1500ppm if they don't have goat specific ones.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I agree with the above. Sooo, are you gonna have him wethered? He sounds like a really sweet boy, I'm just worried what you'll think of him during rut! :)

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@SalteyLove: Oh, yes. The moment I finished reading Karen's post, I began my search. Free choice, loose mineral. GOT IT, and THANK YOU! :)

@CTG: Buddy really is a sweetie pie, and I just love him. :lol:

But, no. I don't think we'll be wethering him. "Rut" I take it, is when he's horny...and I don't mean on his head? I guess I'll think of Buddy the same way I think of ALL intact males "at that time": "Ugh. AGAIN?!" :ROFL:

Eventually, my husband's cousin will be bringing us a Nigerian doe for Buddy. I want little kiddo's. :)

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Yep, it's when they get all excited for the does so they douse themselves in "perfume" ie urine (his front legs and neck will be sticky with pee!). And he'll blubber and rub his head on things and can get aggressive, depending on the buck...It's something to get used to! :)

I would look into getting an older doe (like a yearling) so she can be bred right away. Then you don't have to worry about underage pregnancies. And do you have a seperate pen for a doe? Remember that she'll need a private place during late pregnancy and kidding, where the male won't harass her.

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, yeah... we'd be able to house them separately. And I know alllllll about him "perfuming" himself. We're ready for Buddy's growing pains. :lol:

My brother-in-law's Pygmie gave birth to THREE kids. It was her first pregnancy, and from what I was told, 3 kids the first time around is like, a rarity, or something.

I think he ended up giving the Dad away, because he kept butting the doe in her side (terribly hard) while she was pregnant;constantly.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
That IS uncommon, 3 kids for the first time!

And yeah, bucks can be pretty nasty to the pregnant does. Some are gentle with them, but others(like mine was) can get really rough.

Regarding his perfume, make sure you have goat milk soap! I found that it works great for removing buck odors off my hand. Dawn dish soap is also effective...And wear old clothes around him! You might also want to carry a spray bottle of 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water, in case he tries to challenge you. Teach him now that headbutting and jumping on you are no no' s

Good luck! :)

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Alfalfa is good for them. I personally feed all of my bucks alfalfa year round along with fresh loose minerals. They get alfalfa and browse in the summer months. They are never grained and I don't do any extra feeds. I've never had an issue, been feeding them this way for years now and they're all very healthy, good looking boys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts