Alfalfa pellet question

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by HoosierShadow, Dec 30, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm thinking about giving my nursing does alfalfa pellets when they kid. Is this a good idea since we only give a good quality grass hay and their goat feed?
    if so how should I offer it, and how much should they get per day? I 'might' get more alfalfa hay, but since they have good weight, have free choice grass hay, I was thinking offering a little bit of the pellets daily would be fine.

Any help would be great as I plan on making a run to the feed store today or tomorrow to get some things we need.

2. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I think Alfalfa is always good for does at the last stages of pregnancy and when they are lactating. Im feeding my does Alfalfa, You need to be careful with how much protein etc. that you have in each does feed.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with that.... :thumb: my Does don't seem to like the Pellets...I guess they are weird..... If you are wanting to feed it anyway....start feeding ...as a treat .... to see if... they like it..... then go from there.... if they do like it... :wink:

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks! I picked up a bag at the feed store. The feed is 16%, I'll check the stats on the alfalfa pellets. Once I see if the girls like it, should I give them a little in the morning since we feed in the afternoon? I just figured it would be a good added supplement since we don't give alfalfa.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I feed the pellets as a hay stretcher and for added protein. Mine love them.

For my minis I use the horse feed scoops like you get at TSC and 5-6 of them share whats in the trough. (I probably only give like 3/4 of a scoop anyway)

So for your boers I would give them each probably 1/3 of a scoop and see how they do on it.

First start by introducing the pellets slowly liked mixed in grain or as an additional treat. And slowly move up to larger quantities.

6. Katemary63

Katemary63 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    We give alfalfa pellets instead of alfalfa hay to all lactating does. We just add them in to their daily goat pellets. They like them just fine. Our does also have 24/7 free choice high quality grass hay (grown on our farm) but we can get alfalfa hay here for a reasonable price.

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks everyone! Stacey - I use one a thick plastic cup, I think it measures 1 full cup. I mixed a little in the feed tonight for everyone and they ate it up. For now we decided to only give it to the girls as they start to become due, and are nursing. If this works the way I'd like then we won't need to buy the alfalfa hay. They get a lot of grass hay each day, plus their grain, so hopefully with the alfalfa pellets we'll be good to go.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine will inhale anything they THINK is food! When I don't have the alfalfa hay, I do use 1/2 cup alfalfa pellets mixed into their 2 cup grain ration when kids arrive and throughout their lactation.

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Mine are the same way! They THINK they are starving and go after anything that is food and sometimes things that are not food... :laugh: LOL
    I did mix a little in everyone's food just to make sure they'd eat it, and they did, so I know if I need to feed them some, I can :wink: