The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went to TSC they had different types of alfalfa pellets (timothy and ??:bonk:)
What kind should I get?:shrug:

Also someone said they put apple cider vinegar in their water. What for and how much?:shrug:

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Is this for girls or boys? Kids or adults? Pregnant goats?

Apple cider vinegar is great. Good for digestion, makes them drink more water.

Raw apple cider vinegar, just a splash per bucket.

There are different kinds of HAY pellets. Alfalfa, timothy, and orchard. My guess is you want alfalfa.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Timothy is grass. So Timothy pellets are grass pellets. Alfalfa is a legume. Alfalfa doesn't have "types" of alfalfa. If you are wanting more calcium in their diet, then you want alfalfa pellets.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Don't rule out the idea of mixing your alfalfa with grass. Pure alfalfa pellets can easily cause problems with Pygmies, who were developed for the purpose of producing meat on somewhat meagre rations.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
The alfalfa bags at TSC ARE confusing. Even though Timothy and Alfalfa are not the same thing, they DO have a bag labeled "Timothy Alfalfa". I bought that once because I figured alfalfa was alfalfa. I was wrong! Make sure you get the bag that just says "Alfalfa pellets".

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I put ACV in my goats' water to make it more palatable and to cut the lime a little bit. I am on city water and sometimes the chlorine smell gets strong. The water will also leave water spots of lime residue, the vinegar cuts that a little.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
The bags marked Timothy Alfalfa are a mixed pellet of timothy and alfalfa together. The labels and tags of all feedstuffs are important to read!

It's still good to feed, just not exactly what you thought it would be.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
I put ACV in my goats' water to make it more palatable and to cut the lime a little bit. I am on city water and sometimes the chlorine smell gets strong. The water will also leave water spots of lime residue, the vinegar cuts that a little.
ACV definitely makes mine drink more.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've heard that too much alfalfa can cause digestive problems. I was going to give a small amount along with BOSS and mix it with their morning grain ration.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone having the same problem I have?:ahh:

TSC sells the alfalfa and the BOSS I need in 40-50lb bags. I have 4 dwarf goats(2pygmy 1year old and two nigi 10weeks old).
How long can I store them. I'll probably feed the birds some BOSS too so it doesn't go to waste.(dance) But what about the alfalfa?:shrug:

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Anyone having the same problem I have?:ahh:

TSC sells the alfalfa and the BOSS I need in 40-50lb bags. I have 4 dwarf goats(2pygmy 1year old and two nigi 10weeks old).
How long can I store them. I'll probably feed the birds some BOSS too so it doesn't go to waste.(dance) But what about the alfalfa?:shrug:
I keep my alfalfa pellets in a clean galvanized trash can with the lid down tight and they don't go bad. One time the lid was left off and it was really humid out so I was worried they absorbed too much moisture so I gave them to a friend who has horses because moisture can cause mold and mold can make your goats quite ill. I have a separate can for my grain as well.
I keep my beet pulp shreds and boss in their original bags in another trash can and they store well that way. I've yet to encounter a problem.
Light and moisture are the enemies of feed so the cans work best for my situation.
All of my cans are kept in my garage so rain and critters can't get to them.
Hope that helped some :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I keep my alfalfa pellets in a clean galvanized trash can with the lid down tight and they don't go bad. One time the lid was left off and it was really humid out so I was worried they absorbed too much moisture so I gave them to a friend who has horses because moisture can cause mold and mold can make your goats quite ill. I have a separate can for my grain as well.
I keep my beet pulp shreds and boss in their original bags in another trash can and they store well that way. I've yet to encounter a problem.
Light and moisture are the enemies of feed so the cans work best for my situation.
All of my cans are kept in my garage so rain and critters can't get to them.
Hope that helped some :)
:clever::ty::squish:

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Take a wander through the small pet section... For rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, etc. and see what your store has on hand...
Maybe nothing at all... But it might be a fun look.

Reactions: GoofyGoat
1 - 16 of 16 Posts