The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that a lot of people free feed alfalfa pellets. How do you do that?
I think I'd like to do that and just give a bit of hay. Or could I feed pellets in the am and hay in the pm?

Also my herd loves tomatoes and Ritz crackers. We toss in old or unused tomatoes and carrots and they love them, sometimes over ripe fruit that we just don't get to from the trees. But they LOVE Ritz crackers. We give them 2 or 3 each once or twice a week. It's a nice way to give them each something separately.

Will any of that hurt them? And any other treat suggestions?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Pellets aren't a substitute for hay, really it should be the other way around, free-choice hay and supplemental alfalfa pellets for healthy rumen. :)

Tomatoes and potatoes are not good for goats, they are part of the nightshade family. My goats love carrots, pine, apples. Too much ritz probably isn't good for them, but a bit here and there I think would be okay. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! No more tomatoes. I know about the pine. One side of their pen is lined with trees. They've eaten up as high as they can possibly reach. Even using each other to get higher!

But fruits and most veggies are fine?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We only give them a couple of crackers here and there. My daughter loves it because they take it right out of her hands.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I think I'd like to do that and just give a bit of hay.
That will not work. Alfalfa pellets can only be substituted for up to 50% of the daily hay ration, and I would not substitute that much. I feed alfalfa pellets in lieu of hay last winter when we ran out of hay. I fed 2 lbs of pellets and 3 lbs of hay and it worked out well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That will not work. Alfalfa pellets can only be substituted for up to 50% of the daily hay ration, and I would not substitute that much. I feed alfalfa pellets in lieu of hay last winter when we ran out of hay. I fed 2 lbs of pellets and 3 lbs of hay and it worked out well.
For how many goats and their size? Mine are all drawf breeds.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My goats are standard sized Kiko crosses. I feed 5 lbs of hay per day per adult.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts