The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've attached a picture of the "Estrella Brand alfalfa pellets (horse) to feed my nigerian goats. They are pretty soft pure alfalfa not a mix. My question is how much of this do I feed (per goat) so I don't over feed them? They get wheat hay and hegear (sporgham) grass for roughage. The pellets are a bit bigger than this pic

Thanks..

Attachments

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
What are your plans for these goats? I would start them out at 1/4 lb per goat, watch to make sure they are all eating them and adjust accordingly. Once everyone is eating the pellets, start increasing them every 3-4 days by 1/4 lb until the goats are getting 1 lb each. Watch their body condition and adjust as needed.

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My plans are they are registered goats and I have 5 does, two does are pregnant,
and 3 bucks. Pellets are exactly the same nutrition as the hay, but I don't know the equivalent is. I just give a couple of handfuls of alfalfa hay to 5 does and a handful to 3 bucks, and they get wheat hay and hegear for roughage. Pellets decrease waste and are easier and don't have to worry about the bales getting wet or moldy. Mostly as a backup and winter feeding. Just don't know how to adjust equivalent bales to pellet.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Alfalfa pellets can be substituted for hay pound for pound up to 50% of the ration. Last winter when we were running low on hay, I fed 2 lbs of pellets and 3 lbs of hay and my standard sized girls did great!

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't measure pounds... I have just grabbed some and added to their hay. I have a large tub that I fill with wheat hay, sporgham, bermuda grass and a hand full of alfalfa hay for the 5 does 2x a day. the boys have the same thing w/o alfalfa in a bucket the size of what you use to mop the floor. They girls have browse during the day. The boys I get browse for them. Now winter is here, not much browse..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts