The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...as many of you know, I live in the tropics, where it is difficult to find good quality anything for a reasonable price.

I have been feeding my goats alfalfa pellets from Grainland Select for a few months now. I've never had a problem with them, until this most recent bag. I opened it up, and it was LITTERED with corn pieces and barley and a bunch of other things I can't make out. I plan to return this bag, with or without a refund, and let them know why I won't be buying it anymore until the quality of the feed increases or they start bringing in another brand.

I called another feed company asked about their alfalfa pellets they sell, and the only information they provided was it is made from ADM Alliance. (customer service is terrible down here, but that's a whole other issue...).

Now, i'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on those alfalfa pellet brands? My doe in milk who i'm really getting the pellets for, doesn't even like eating them. she eats barely 1lb of pellets a day, if that, and i offer her way more.

also, b/c alfalfa is now going GMO like corn and soy, i'm hesitant on giving that to my animals, so i almost want to move away from even giving that all together. i feel like a hypocrite for giving my goats GMO when try to avoid it at all costs.

is there other alternatives to calcium than alfalfa? alfalfa supposedly doesn't grow down here - i think it's too hot for alfalfa and soil isn't good for alfalfa growing (not much does...the soil here is terrible).

again, i'm more worried about my doe in milk as opposed to my dry doe and wether. they can just have a bit of grain and lots of forage.

sorry for the long post!

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
ADM Alliance is a good company. I really like their goat feed. I guess all you can do is try them. Hard to get away from alfalfa especially with milkers.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder though, how milk goats are raised in countries back in the day when there wasn't any alfalfa......

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
There are many who don't feed alfalfa in pellets or flakes and do just fine..but I would imagine the quality and quanity aren't the same..another alternative to pellets is cubes...its going to be hard to avoid GMO..costly to do so, but we are trying to do the same thing...we have started our fodder system and are feeding our chickens,ducks and turkey the fodder right now as we get used tot he system...soon we will be changing our goats over..right now all we can do is mix our own feed so we can choose whats in it..and that can be a pretty penny to do so...with Fodder we can choose what to sprout and adjust as we see a need..I just hope my goats will eat it lol...

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, fodder. i'd LOVE to do that, but I can't find barley!!! :(

I sprouted some oats but it didn't sprout very well. I tried sprouting some barley from the store, but it's way too humid and things just go moldy (eewwww).

I was reading that someone was doing fermented grains
http://lifeatmennageriefarm.blogspot.com/2013/03/fermented-grain-old-timers-secret.html

I got inspired and tried it. they love it! i'm wondering if I can stick with just this and browse and hay (although mine don't actually eat the hay...).

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
I have been sprouting wheat with good success..once we get our shelves set up we will begin for the goats...I think its going to get more difficult to avoid GMO and more costly...we farmers of animals are not screaming our protest enough...they just keep adding to the list..corn and now alfalfa ....two of the most fed grains to animals..not only are GMO foods not good for the animals..its not good for us..Americas food source has been going down the toilet for a long time but this GMO food is really taking it over the top...a few test runs would show how unhealthy it is. At this point we are not buying organic, but if I can get a coop together to buy in bulk I certainly will be ...its kind of scary what the USDA thinks is ok for our families to eat...
as for alfalfa, I bet you can come up with something that will be balanced and provide the calcium they need. Im not great at figuring all that nutritional stuff out but sure am trying lol..

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks happybleats!

I completely agree with this whole GMO craziness. there are people who are crying over it, but voices are small at the moment, but I sense that there will be a shift coming. we have won a few fights against the GMOs....slowly but surely!

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Can Chaffhaye replace alfalfa??

·
Registered
279 Posts
Can Chaffhaye replace alfalfa??
Definitely YES! I feed Chaffhaye as total replacement in the summer for my goats. Can you get Chaffhaye? Not all goats like it and it may take a few days to couple weeks for them to get used to it. All my goats love it.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nope.....no chaffhaye. if I go into the feed store asking for that, I think they're going to look at me as if I have 3 heads.... I already get dirty looks b/c I ask too many questions. lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
Chaffhaye IS alfalfa just bagged with a fermentation process. Its mostly the leafy parts with little to no stems.
So I am reading up on this Chaffhaye...and pretty excited. However what is the average cost for a 50lb bag?

We go through about 40 1100lb big bales a year on feed and it isn't the "Greatest" but hay where I live is STUPID expense because we export most of it. I would love an alternative like that to supplement better quality versus $300/ton of alfalfa.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Chaffhaye IS alfalfa just bagged with a fermentation process. Its mostly the leafy parts with little to no stems.
Thanks Stacy..Ill check it out : )

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Yahooo..I found some at our feed store : ) might try this instead of baled alfalfa next which is very stemmy and dry!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
most of the time you have to find a distributor of the Chaffhaye - thats cool your feed store carries it.

The bags are usually around 17.00 but suppose to last you longer then one bale of hay. Personally I havent actually done the feeding of it, my friend who boards my goats does. She tried going strictly to only chaffhaye but the goats suffered so she is now adding grain back into their diet (much to my relief). She was told by the distributor that it was all the goats would need nutritionally (I didnt believe it) but we found out in a month or so time that it wasnt enough and they needed more.

So basically in my opinion its a high quality hay but you still need your regular supplements (minerals, grain for milkers, copper etc). I also would like to see her put out some grass hay as just a filler for them, they do seem to get bored with nothing to do. Ive suggested it especially for winter as they do need more to chew and digest to keep them warm.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
yes, Im excited they carry it...they will order anything I as if they have access to it... I read that it suppose to take the place of hay and feed..but I agree,,cant see that being a good idea...I think leaving coastal out would be a good plan...We currently feed grain and alfalfa rationed and coastal free choice...as well as loose minerals, but there is a huge amount of waste in hay and alfalfa...I like to see that cut...: ) thanks Stacy...

·
Registered
818 Posts
We do not feed alfalfa pellets. Just grain and a tad of BOSS. We do feed alfalfa hay for the calcium, however a lot of people do not feed alfalfa, and still get lots of good milk. Some people even believe alfalfa is dangerous because it is so rich, but I have no problems and everyone I know likes it, so IDK what that it all about. The bottom line, good quality hay and grain can definitely be used in place of alfalfa.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that's great news! we have a huge amount of browse, and being a coral island on limestone, people say it's high calcium here, and there's definitely lots of calcium in the water (taps are always clogged). maybe i'll start weaning them off of alfalfa and just have the oats, BOSS and peas plus browse and see how it goes....

Thanks for the idea Oak Hollow Ranch!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts