The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys soak these pellets, or give it dry? The guy at the feed store said either way works, just wanna know what others do:)

I won't start feeding it until my other 2 does give birth which should be sometime later this month:)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I feed mine dry. most my goats eat it, but my doe in milk picks through it.....she won't eat it soaked either. she's a stinker....lol

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
I feed mine dry...I don't think any of my girls would appreciate it wet, but maybe they're just weird :D

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Does alfalfa pellets help put weight on does? Do you give this along with giving grain?
Oh yeah! They are around 18% protein. You can feed them along with grain, but I use alfalfa pellets to stretch hay. I do not feed hay free choice, and alfalfa pellets can be used as a replacement for up to 50% of the hay ration - in my case I feed 2 lbs of alfalfa pellets, and 3 pounds of hay.

As for the original question, I feed them dry.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all. I just found out today that the grain I have been feeding my clan well, it's medicated Noble Goat, and lo and behold it says to not feed to lactating does, because it had the cocci prevention in it. I've been milking and drinking the milk since February never had a problem, and I just bought 2 bags last week. So I am going to slowly switch over to the goat chow by purina, will get a bag of that and some alfalfa pellets (dry) later this week and see what happens in "Patti's" (doe in milk right now) milk production. I guess I will feed it to the kids during weaning time to prevent cocci... I've never had a problem with that so now I'm wondering if that is why.. I'll let you know how "Patti's" production goes:)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Does alfalfa pellets help put weight on does? Do you give this along with giving grain?
Yep! I feed a cup of it 2x a day mixed with my milking does grain :) it helps put weight on them, but I have one doe I have to go a little further and add beet pulp or a lot more alfalfa.. She milks down to skin and bones!

Now I mix alfalfa pellets, dairy goat pellets, BOSS, and beet pulp shreds for my milkers. They have been doing great on it this year :)

I too feed them dry

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
a cup 2x a day?? i was told to give up to 1 lb 2x per day! I've started giving less as she does NOT like to eat the alfalfa, especially in the morning. she'll eat what's left in her bowl at night when i leave it with her in her stall...even then sometimes she won't finish.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I guess it differs for everyone ;) I give more or less depending on the does weight/condition.. I also have Nigerian Dwarfs. I know I will be feeding my LaManchas more!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
got it. she's kind of skinny, not too bad, BUT she won't eat the alfalfa. sigh. must be something in the pellets that she won't eat. oh well...nothing i can do about it since i only have the one brand available.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My doe became very skinny about two weeks after giving birth.. it scared me because I have never seen any of my goats skinny. Being new to freshend does and there after, I did some research on this matter. I found alfalfa pellets and beet pulp to be the answer. I soak my alfalfa pellets ( you don't have to) and I soak the beep pulp pellets ( and this you do have to soak!!) I am very happy with the results!! Now, she is just right. I don't mix it with grain. I was told to feed it at ground level.. as if their grazing. I feed about 2lbs of alfalfa soaked pellets mixed with beet pulp and I feed it to her in the afternoon. She loves it!! And she looks forward to it! I will be adjusting the beet pulp amount according to her results... and if her weight changes.

·
962 Posts
Yep! I feed a cup of it 2x a day mixed with my milking does grain :) it helps put weight on them, but I have one doe I have to go a little further and add beet pulp or a lot more alfalfa.. She milks down to skin and bones!

Now I mix alfalfa pellets, dairy goat pellets, BOSS, and beet pulp shreds for my milkers. They have been doing great on it this year :)

I too feed them dry
Thanks!
It seems like I've tried everything to put weight on some of my milk does. Appoline throws everything she has into her milk and she doesn't look too plump afterwards. :(
I've tried beet pulp and it did absolutely nothing. The thing that I've had the best luck with is donuts! Lol! I'll have to try alfalfa pellets and BOSS though..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts