The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do alfalfa pellets do? Is it kind of like calf manna? Does it help with growing kids? Thanks:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Alfalfa pellets provide an easily digested source of protein and calcium... I tend to not give my kids these as I have had them choke on them.
So alfalfa pellets does have calcium in it? I was trying to figure that out, but it just said protein. I am giving my clan some spent brewery grain, so I needed something with calcium in it too. Yeah, so that is a huge plus:) I soak the pellets for the little ones:)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
You shouldn't need to feel alfalfa pellets if you feed alfalfa hay, right?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Oh, mine get hay too, at least in the fall & winter months, but since I'm giving the spent brewery grain, I needed something with calcium in it:)

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Alfalfa pellets cannot take the place of hay though.
Actually they can. Mine have been fully pellet fed at different times over the years. They still get the 3/4 inch fiber they need to rumenate and still fill their rumens, chew their cuds. etc. They did great on them.
Before Purina bought Honor feeds and ruined them, the goat food was a pelleted complete feed. That was great stuff, had everything they needed in one bag. All my goats looked great on it.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Really ? That must have been awesome ! No waste , no mess :)
And , a fully complete meal to boot . Man, would that save money , time and effort !

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
You would have been giggling even harder if you'd have seen me crawling up on my hands and knees to get the picture...

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Oh I meant to add that with the Kats EZ grain mix
I feed alfalfa :)
Haven't read your last post yet Jill. .
Wanna put everyone in for the night so I can sit and relax and hang out here ;)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I posted this on the wrong thread , lolol !
Ok , it just doesn't seem right to me that alfalfa pellets can take the place of hay :scratch: I would think hay can only give them necessary roughage that the alfalfa pellets can't :shrug:

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
We pay $40 a bale for western alfalfa. It weighs about 80+ pounds.
*drops dead* how long does one bale last you?? This is the reason I feed grass hay and alfalfa pellets! Lol!

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
That bale can least us up to two weeks if we are careful giving it out and not being overgenerous . I know , its a lot , believe me , I know.
But , with the other hay , there is a lot of waste and i feel we throw out more of it then they eat. So with the alfalfa there is less waste and they benefit from it so much more. We feel its worth it , for now anyways , lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts