The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two does as the breeders told me to feed alfalfa. I was sent home with a bale but now cannot find a feed store who has fresh alfalfa that's not burnt. The breeder is 4 hours away from me so I can't go back to get more. Can I give alfalfa pellets or cubes instead?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Pellets work best. You need to feed them some sort of hay though..grass hay will be fine. If they are in milk I would definitely recommend supplementing with alfalfa pellets, about 4 cups a day.

·
1,524 Posts
We can't get alfalfa hay up here, so I use alfalfa pellets. The pellets are usually smaller than the cubes, which are mostly too big for goats to comfortably chew.

·
HaileyBailey
382 Posts
If you can't get alfalfa, feed the pellets. You can even wet the pellets to make them more palatable. Be sure to feed the the best quality hay you can afford also, however.

Is there a dealer that carries Chaffhaye Alfalfa there? You can check on their website for a dealer in your area. I feed mine chaffhaye instead of alfalfa bales. My does are doing GREAT on it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am in southern Texas. Our feed store does carry chaffhaye. I got alfalfa pellets today. The girls aren't too sure of them but they are testing them out. They are 5month registered abga fullblood boers by the way.

·
1,524 Posts
It may take them a few days to start eating them. Goats tend to view any new food with distrust, like they think you are trying to poison them!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are characters! One jumps on me like a dog and the other still does not trust me. They have such different personalities

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I just did a search on craigslist for alfalfa in a number of southern Texas cities and found lots of if. Some crazy spendy but alot of decent prices. You may need to have some delivered or rent a trailer from a rental store and go pick up a few tons to make the trip worth wild but lots of it there to be had.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The one in my profile pic is from Bandera, Tx. Her sire is Primo Profit Maker and dam is Fortune Cookie. This baby's name is Fortune Teller. The darker headed one I got in La Grange, Tx. Can't remember parents, just sent in her registration papers but we plan to show both!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts