The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been feeding my girls a Timothy grass hay mix, but they don't seem to eat it like my horses do. They only munch off a tiny bit, and I hate wasting hay. I've seen a lot of people saying they feed Alfalfa mixes. So, would it be better to feed that over grass hay? Do they seem to enjoy that more?

·
Super Moderator
58,202 Posts
You will find that they will waste some hay. You can always try an alfalfa mix. Is the hay first cutting?

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Goats are pretty bad when it comes to wasting hay. I think you'll find, they're just as bad wasting the alfalfa as they are the timothy. If you can get a good quality, soft 3rd or 4th+ cutting, that will give you less stem and less waste. I feed alfalfa and they do quite well on it, but definately don't clean it up like my horses do.

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
If you select a high quality alfalfa, with fine stems, there is very little waste. Also, use a hay rack with a manger that they can not get in. This will help reduce waste also.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I havent been able to find the fine stemmed alfalfa.
Mostly we stems which aren't too bad but lately all they have had available was this thick stemmed alfalfa which was no great.
Way too much waste with that bunch. I find that second cut orchard leaves the least amount of waste with my guys. They seem to really like it. But I do like to add the alfalfa . Funny thing , some will dive into the alfalfa but always go and grab mouthfuls of the orchard as well.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will find that they will waste some hay. You can always try an alfalfa mix. Is the hay first cutting?
As dumb as this may sound I actually would have to ask my square bale guy what cutting it is, but I'm guessing it's probably a third or fourth cutting. It's still pretty green-ish and it smells great.

In this area I could easily get an alfalfa mix for 6 bucks a bale. I'm just curious as to what other people feed

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I like alfalfa hay, but I have less waste if I feed orchard grass/alfalfa mix. A person should keep a general idea of where you are at with your Ca:p ratio especially with prego does and bucks and wethers. I haven't done the science, but I think a mix of alfalfa and quality grass hay (timothy, orchard, coastal bermuda) would keep the hay part of your diet balanced. If I have to mix it myself I do. It seems professional hay farmers in Washington have an aversion to alfalfa/orchard mix these days, preferring to grow *straight* one or the other. So much of our hay is exported. It's really a shame, because to me the mix hay is consistently the best quality hay that they love to eat the mostest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts