Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Oct 5, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We have some really nice, leafy alfalfa that we've been giving our goats on the farm. . . . I brought some of this home with me and I want to give it to my goaties, but these girls are almost yearlings, they are bred, but not producing or anything like that. Do u give your goats alfalfa only if they are lactating?? I'm letting Leona have some because she's a baby and spoiled. But Lyla and Claribelle I doubt really need it (they want it for sure!) - should I give them some? If so, how much each day?

Also, does alfalfa really make goats gain weight? We have a couple pygmies and they look like pygmies (round bellies). I shouldn't give this to them, right?
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've never given just straight Alfalfa hay, mixed grass was always easily accessible and cheap....I do give alfalfa cubes , about a cup broken up to each doe that is in milk or close to delivery. I guess if they don't need to have the extra good stuff and are doing well with what you have, a flake here and there along with the usual hay won't hurt.

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I feed grass hay with alfalfa pellets---- this is the cheapest way to go. My goats put on a lot of weight from this. Here where I live the standard going price for alfalfa bales are $8 bucks and more a bale.
  4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i usually try to feed alfalfa to my does year round, even the kids and the bucks get alfalfa/sudan mix, but the alfafa prices are hitting 19 bucks a bale so i've switched everyone to the alfalfa sudan mix, its only 14 dollars

i also feed alfalfa oat pellets.. the alfalfa sudan , alfalfa, and alfalfa pellets help the goats grow alot, but i dont get the big round bellies like some people get.

but latel
  5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Ouch!! That hurts! :sigh: I feel your pain though. . . . we only have a few goats in town so I usually just end of purchasing hay from the feed store across the river. Last time I went they had timothy for $14.95 a bale (about 100 lb. bales). I've started getting eastern OR grass hay from a place near where our babies are disbudded, they have the best prices for a feed store. Which is $16.95 a bale for about 100 lbs. Painful. . . . . thankfully my parents help out a little because not all the goats are mine.

Yeah, they're not fat but not exactly "slender". ;) Only problem is they cry for it. . . . and I'm giving in. :sigh: :roll: Maybe I should lower their grain a little??? The two girls, Lyla and Claribelle, are sharing about 1.5 cups of grain (maybe a little less) once a day.

It's okay for Leona, right? Let's see, she's almost four months old.
  6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i think cutting down their grain might help slim them up.

i have a pen with two does in it right now, one is 9 months and the other is 2 in december i give them 1/2 a can of grain which is roughly a cup of grain. then they each get 1 cup of pellets and 1/2 a flake of hay

they keep in great show condition

so i would say cut grain back if they aren't bred, ( If they are take them out or to the side and give them extra grain)

as for hay .. maybe a good alfalfa grass mix will keep them satisfied?
  7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We always have alfalfa for our goats. They all stay in good weight and we haven't had overweight problems. Grass/alfalfa mix is great for them. I would cut back a tad on the grass and put some alfalfa with each feeding. They seem to be really happy and feeling good when they get alfalfa.
  8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, I'll cut it down to 1 cup of grain to share. I'll have to try and find a good grass/alfalfa mix for them, for some reason there's not a whole lot of that blend around here. . . .

They are bred but only about 2 weeks preggo. I'll increase their grain when they're about 4 months along. We don't have a whole lot of pasture here in town and they cannot go in their pasture now because it's been raining (they'll just cry if I put them there even tho there's a shelter), so I guess the alfalfa would be good for them now.

Thanks for the help!