Algeries

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Coraxfeather, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Poor little Pancakes we found out is alergic to the dust in Hay or when there is a lot of dust kicked up in the air. Is there anything that I can do?? I have to keep putting eye drops in his eyes that I got from the vet. There has to be somethign better out there then that.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I know that the childs dose of Benadryl works for the irritation of bee stings, I don't know if it wuld help his allergies...if it's the case of dusty hay falling into his eyes as he reaches up for it, maybe keep his hay in a basket on the floor, this way he's not looking up as the dust is falling.

3. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Is his eyes red and irritated? Or are they just runny and crusty? If they are just crusty (like yellowish color discharge or even clear runs) then you could use VetRx to treat him. You just squirt a few drops in his nose as recommended on the bottle. You can order it on Jeffers. I had 10 girls put up in a big kidding lot in my barn last winter, and while I was giving them hay their eyes and nose was runny and crusty. Of course the vet said to give them Penicilin(sp?) :roll: I think that is the vets recommendation for everything.... but since they were within a week of kidding I was NOT sticking them with a needle unless it was absolutely necessary... so I posted on one of the forums and was told to use VetRx. It cleared them up in two days, and within the week all ten of them kidded :wink:

4. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I also use Vet rx for allergies in my one wether. He gets a runny nose and runny eyes in the spring and when we put the new straw bedding in the barn in the fall. It has worked really well for him.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I too use VetRx. it is wonderful.

What about putting a little water on the hay? I do that when it is a little dusty, but NOT moldy. It works great. Matter of fact my horse would rather have it a little wet, I have no idea why.