All Grown up :)

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by DebMc, Jan 1, 2011.

1. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    My girls just turned 1 y.o. I am very pleased w/how they've turned out. But I think they may be a bit overweight, even for meat goats (Mini Silky X Fainter). What do you think?

I'll also attach a new pic of Geoffrey, my cartgoat in training. As you can see, he's filling out nicely. He's nine months old now and getting BIG. I don't know how much he weighs but the spool behind him is 36'' tall. He is such a sweetheart and very eager to please. I'm hoping he stays that way. Does personality tend to change much in wethers as they mature?

Deb Mc

Attached Files:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they look great.

Wethers can become a bit pushy since they are so friendly. Keep him in his place in the little things and he will grow up just fine :)

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Happy Birthday to your pretty young ladies! They all look great....and Geoffrey is gonna be a BIG boy, he is very flashy with all those spots!

4. Looking great and I love the spots on the third one. Very nice indeed. As for weight they look great.

5. Oh and if you are not happy with any of them you can send them here. I am sure we could take in such poor looking goats. LOL ROFL. If you believe that by all means send them HEHE.

6. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I think they look BEAUTIFUL! Perfectly well cared for and healthy!

Hey now.... Don't we all put on a few pounds at Christmas!! :ROFL:

7. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks all! I'm thinking about breeding them this fall and want them to be in tip top shape. I've heard being overweight could cause pregnancy complications.

Stacy - Thanks for the insight. Geoffrey is my first and only wether. He is super friendy but hasn't shown any pushy behavior YET. I make my goats work for everything. Four on the "floor" before they're fed or get human attention. Tricks on cue for treats. And I train one-on-one (driving) with Geoffrey every other day. Also, I almost always have my choredog w/me around the goats and she enforces the rules when I'm not watching. For example, if a goat tries to steal the goose greens/feed or pull my jacket off the fence, she busts them, shoos them off. It's kinda' funny, she favors Mitsy, the black doe, and lets her slide with some things. Seems everyone favors Mitsy. <lol>

Deb Mc

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Its not uncommon for goats to gain a little weight over the winter. Come spring and summer they tend to naturally trim down because they don't need the stored fat anymore for warmth. They don't look overweight to me though

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    very nice.... :thumb: :greengrin:

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Deb....my 3 wethers are just as big babies as they were when little, my oldest are 4yrs old. I am not a good disciplinarian, but my boys mind pretty good......the only time I have issues is when I get the treats out and then they are all over me!

11. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    That's nice to hear, cdtrum. Thanks for sharing that! I hope Geoffrey follows suit and stays just the way he is except for size. The bigger he gets, the better as the more he weighs, the more weight he can pull.

Deb Mc

12. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    They all look great!

13. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    :love: :love: They are all so adorable. :) Give the girls a Happy Belated birthday treat from me!!!!!! :love:

14. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks, gals!

Jess - If any of your hunky Mini Silky bucks end up in AZ, please let me know. I think I'd like to breed the girls this fall.

Deb Mc

15. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I'll let you know Deb! :) So far only wethers.... LOTS of wethers... LOL 2 more coming your way in February (Piper and Moon)

16. imaginationacres

imaginationacres New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    You have beautiful goats (and handsome for Mister. Geoffrey) They look healthy and happy! My wethers have always stayed sweet and gentle, they are "kid-like," even at 2 years of age. One of them went into a mini rut this fall/winter but nothing like a real buck does.

17. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    I love the coloring on Geoffrey! He is such a handsome boy! And so big too. I can't wait to see him pulling a cart someday.