All Guard 4 in 1 Bolus

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CountyLineAcres, Jun 3, 2020.

1. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Has anyone tried these boluses? They contain 750mg iodine, 100mg selenium, 350mg cobalt, and 400mg zinc. They are slow release and supposedly last 6 months.

http://snlivestock.com/All-Guard-4-in-1-Ewe-Bolus.php

I’ve heard some people use it with their goats or sheep and get great results. However, I am looking for more opinions.

They have a 5 in 1 for goats, but it’s cheaper to give their copper boluses separately.

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Well the ewe bolus won't have copper - I couldn't find the goat one on their site.

But let me just say, I am cautious about bolusing selenium and other minerals, I personally don't have much knowledge on how those boluses work, and I would be concerned about overdose. With routine supplementation, like a gel monthly/weekly or an annual/bi-annual supplementation, you can evaluate and supplement as you go. With a bolus, I would be cautious. That is all.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    That being said, I am interested to hear the opinions of others on the forum!

@mariarose ?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow, no, but I'd be careful though, if they are not deficient in the other ingredients.

5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Never heard or tried this. Im chicken!:shrug:

6. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    Have never heard of it either. I give copper bolus, selenium gel, and loose minerals. I feel like they wouldn’t need that much supplementation of zinc, iodine, or cobalt unless you know they’re for sure deficient in those.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  7. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Wow! I wish they had just selenium and copper. I would be all over that!
    But I went ahead and googled toxicity in the iodine, cobalt and zinc, it’s really nothing all that terrible. It was a fast search so if you end up wanting to really try these I would do a better search but it’s things like watery eyes, hair loss, poor growth rate and with the zinc copper deficiency anemia, which is where they lost my interest since I battle copper deficiency so much. But I would defiantly make sure your goats needed selenium before looking into it more. That we do know toxicity is pretty much certain death.
    But it might be something to consider. Yes there is replamin gel but for those that have larger herds it’s not all that easy to keeping going out and shoving gel down them. Also for those that are using it for these minerals, it might be interesting to see if maybe in that 6 month time if they are actually giving the same, more, or less then what the bolus contains. I’m not sure what the recommended dose is with the gel but here is the tag if someone wants to figure it out. But I did notice that iodine is not listed. https://www.drugs.com/vet/maac-replamin-gel-plus.html
    Anyways I’ll watch this to see what others have to say but I think because of the zinc part I am passing for now.

8. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Great discussion! I am almost certain we are zinc deficient. We tried a top dressing that we loved, but it was just so expensive. I also hear great things about cobalt, but the boluses from UltraCruz are obnoxiously huge. That’s why it really sparked my interest.

The selenium is what has me worried. We really don’t have a huge issue where we are. The amount in that bolus is so high (even though it is slow release).

The gel might be something to consider. However, if it needs to be administered weekly then that’ll be impossible here. We have 80 head currently.

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would stick to non-bolus supplementation... except for copper. Supplement cobalt with a cobalt block. There are a lot of ways to supplement zinc, TruCare is good, it is a top dressing you could put on your feed.

10. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    I give selenium gel with vitamin e monthly. Some of my goats don’t need it as often though and they get it as needed or when they get their hooves done. I have head of 18 though so I definitely see the issue for 80. For copper I give bolus every 6 months. Mine don’t need cobalt supplementation but I have seen cobalt blocks before. They also all have access to Sweetlix meat maker minerals

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  11. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
  12. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    There are no cobalt blocks at any stores within an hour of us. We can get them ordered at our store but would need to order a pallet which is 40 blocks. Will keep looking!

TruCare is great! We loved it! However, it is too expensive for put herd. $20 for 1kg which only supplements 58 head of sheep/goats. The bag wouldn’t get us through a full day.

13. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Thank you! I will definitely look into this and see if we have any near us. I bet shipping would be insane.

Update: Just looked for ones near us and our feed store apparently is a dealer! I will be contacting our nutritionist to get their opinion.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
  15. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    The does all have loose mineral available. The bucks, however, are near impossible. Hoping we can figure out some outdoor feeder that’s indestructible soon.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Sometimes bucks need the loose minerals more than does. It is truly imperative and frankly non-negotiable. What kind of feeder do you have?

17. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Interesting! It seems to be the opposite here. Of course that doesn’t mean we won’t stop trying to solve the feeder problem.

We’ve tried so many that it’s hard to list them all. They have to be shielded from the rain which definitely limits us in design ideas. We bought a plastic outdoor feeder that we hope will withstand their destruction if mounted in a corner. It works well for the does and bucklings. Crossing my fingers!

18. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It does depends on your area and needs, but I find bucks have the most zinc problems.

19. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh man CountryLineAcres I guess I never told you I can be a bit obsessive compulsive about things lol I got to thinking and it wouldn’t be the end of the world If I had to give a extra copper bolus because of the zinc. So I did some serious googling and math since I posted.
    So your right I see a lot of good things, especially cattle and sheep wise. Not much goats in the US but I did find some great reviews in other countries (which I know we are not other countries).
    Anyways that all made me go to the math part of my OCD. For a little pill yes 100mg is a lot BUT it’s really not THAT much. So I just used the bag of grain I feed to my kids as a example of what ones goat might be getting in selenium just off of that, since I know I’m probably the only oddball that doesn’t feed grain. Anyways so it has 0.40ppm. That comes out to .40mg per kg of feed. A kg is 2.2 pounds. And then this bag says so feed 2-3% of body weight. Let’s make it easy and say they eat 2.2 pounds of grain. That would be .40x30 (days a month) and it comes out to 12mg. Now X 6(months) is 72mg. Yes that is still 28mg less but that is still THIS grain and only going off THIS grain. Not the BOSE or anything else. So I am going to keep thinking on it but I’m leaning towards trying it.
    CountryLineAcres, what minerals are you feeding? The only time I have ever had a issue with zinc deficiency was last year when I fed sweetlix meat maker minerals. Goathiker tried to explain to me why that was in mariaroses mineral thread but it went right over my head.
    And if you find a way to give bucks minerals that they can not totally destroy let me know. Mine drive me absolutely bonkers! Right now they just get a little pan and only a small handful a day. At least then it’s not a total waste when they take their anger out on it

20. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Wow! You are awesome!!
    That math does make me feel better about the selenium. Maybe this really would be something to consider... I might trial it on a goat that’s heading for market anyways.

We actually just changed minerals. They have been on DuraFerm Concept Aid since the beginning of this year, I believe. The goats absolutely love it, and I have seen a huge difference. However, we also had 6 does blow their coats completely after kidding or weaning. We’ve always had a doe or two do it every year, but this time it makes me think deficiency. Maybe it’s hormonal and not zinc related? Idk honestly.

Lol that’s where we are at! I tried to put a few tablespoons of mineral in a hanging dish but one of the bucks decided he was going to dump it all out with his horns by flipping it. I swear everything is a scratching post to them.

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.