The Goat Spot Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Sandy is doing just fine. No signs of toxicity. I've given the All Guard 4 in 1 to five five other pregnant does now.

I want to do a summary of common selenium supplement values, mostly for myself so I can feel confident this will provide enough to prevent selenium deficient newborns:

All Guard 4 in 1 Ewe Bolus: 100mg/6 months suggested time = 16.7 mg per month

Replamin Plus paste: 0.39 mg per 5mL dose, typical dosage weekly, 0.39x4 = 1.56 mg per month

Selenium & Vitamin E gel: 2.0ppm per 4mL recommended monthly (need weight to calc)

MultiMin90 injection: 5mg/mL at 1mL per 100lbs, 7.5mg of selenium for a 150 pound goat which is typically given either every 4 or 6 months. 1.25 - 1.875 mg per month.

Bo-Se Injection: 1mg/mL, dosed at 2.5mL per 100lbs. 3.75mg per 150 lb goat typically given either every 4 or 6 months. 0.63 - 0.94 mg per month.

Sooooo.... The All Guard value is pretty high eek but these are all different delivery methods and I didn't give extra Vitamin E so who knows!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,279 Posts
I would say to remember the different forms of selenium. To compare: Replamin gel is a weekly dose. Selenium e gel is a monthly dose. However, Replamin has A TON more selenium... so why would it be given weekly as opposed the gel monthly with lower selenium.... THE FORM!

Replamin has sodium selenite. Selenium gel has selenium yeast.

IMO sodium selenite is crap. I can pump loads of it in and I feel like it just gets peed out ... argh!!!!

Now selenium yeast, that stuff is bioavailable! BIG difference even when given less frequently.

Just something to note!!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
No notable improvement is apparent to me. Now granted Sandy is entering late pregnancy so ligaments are loosening and she is certainly my toughest case. I am giving each doe a few doses of selenium/E gel before their due dates to avoid deficient newborns just in case.
IMG_20210227_220027503.jpg

61 - 67 of 67 Posts